Acebeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light bulb collections

Default Light bulb collections

Just wondering! Anyone here have a collection?
    Last edited by Achilleus; 01-11-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Default Re: Is there a name for light bulb collecting?

Well let me start off then - this is a display of 4 different types of HID - commonly found in street lighting. From left to right they are mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium, of various wattages. I'll post more types if there is any interest.

Dean

That's really a cool display Achilleus! Thanks for posting it. I only collect flashlights myself.
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the war room!!

Flashaholic*

This is cool. Please post some more if you got.

Anybody have spectrum graphs on these kinds of bulbs. I really have no idea if they are spikey or smooth. Am I right in assuming, that mercury vapor is the whitest (closest to 5600K) followed by metal halide?

Jan
    Last edited by JanCPF; 01-08-2007 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks! The specturm of the low pressure sodium is basically one yellow line (actually two very close together) - the same color you get when you throw salt into a flame. Absolutely everything under that light looks the same color, which is why its quite difficult to find your car in the UK sometimes

Darkness Sucker ?

Illuminatrix

Luminaire

Luminary
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Bulbaholic?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleus
    Well let me start off then - this is a display of 4 different types of HID - commonly found in street lighting. From left to right they are mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium, of various wattages. I'll post more types if there is any interest.
    Very nice!

Any problems running that LPS base down?
    You always see them in horizontal operation here and after reading here , I'm curious.

I do collect some lamps, but I haven't put them on display as beautiful as you have. My collection only covers newer ceramic metal halide, HPS and WhiteSON lamps. I'm trying to get hold of an induction lamp as well.
    Still no response to that PM or e-mail you sent me two months ago? Try sending it again. I'm terrible at keeping track of messages.

Thinking Re: Is there a name for light bulb collecting?

... Bulbophobic...

Achilleus, is that your nightstand in your bedroom??

EDIT: Can someone make me a smilie holding a 40,000 lumens HMI-bulb ??

Regards,

Ra.
    Last edited by Ra; 01-08-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...
    Maxablaster MB Beamshots 10Watt Mini HID SSC Microblaster!

Quote Originally Posted by winny
    Very nice!

Any problems running that LPS base down?
    You always see them in horizontal operation here and after reading here , I'm curious.

I do collect some lamps, but I haven't put them on display as beautiful as you have. My collection only covers newer ceramic metal halide, HPS and WhiteSON lamps. I'm trying to get hold of an induction lamp as well.
    No problems with mine yet, although it is an older type, not like that one you linked to. There might be a problem if the sodium condensed onto the filament, but when I watch it the sodium always seems to stay on the glass. There is a little shield over the filament too.

Are the induction lamps out yet?

(ps do you leave those window lights on when you go out? I only ask because MH's can blow and that hot quartz would be a real fire hazard if you were not around. Great display though!)
    Last edited by Achilleus; 01-08-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Flashaholic*

Achilleus,

Does it have a filament?

Anyway, what does the wife/girlfriend say about your "little" display?

Yes, Philips have been selling them since 1992. I've seen one eBay action with one, but I missed it. Quite cool with 100 khours lifetime.

I don't leave it on, ever. I do especially not run it with open windows because of the explosion risk with any incoming water hitting the hot glass.
    Still no response to that PM or e-mail you sent me two months ago? Try sending it again. I'm terrible at keeping track of messages.

It has a filament in the same way the a fluorescent tube does - a source of electrons for the discharge. I think it does anyway (at work right now)!

Hey Winny - induction lamps:

http://www.kwhlighting.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=L-M-E

http://www.kwhlighting.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=L-M-E

Bit pricy! Lamp + balast = $700 approx.

Dean

Just wondering!
    Should we ask this guy?

http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.c...ollection.html

-N

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by JanCPF
    This is cool. Please post some more if you got.

Anybody have spectrum graphs on these kinds of bulbs. I really have no idea if they are spikey or smooth. Am I right in assuming, that mercury vapor is the whitest (closest to 5600K) followed by metal halide?

Jan
    Check this collection of spectra of various light sources out:

http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.c...ml#colorphotos

I think this is the same guy whose collection is shown later.

This is my brightest and most powerful bulb, and also my largest! These are stadium bulbs. The box and cooling system I built to contain the enormous balast, total weight around 50 lb.

Dean

Description:M1500U/3K
    Watts:1500
    Average Life Hours:3,000
    Initial Lumens:165000
    Base Type:E39 Mogul Screw
    Finish:Clear
    Kelvin:3000
    CRI:65
    MOL:15.25 in. (387.35 mm.)
    Diameter:7.00 in. (177.80 mm.)
    Last edited by Achilleus; 01-17-2007 at 12:57 PM.

And these are the bulbs I use around the house for low level night lighting (so my kids don't fall over in the night). I have about 20 of them positioned around the house, they are only 1 W each so they get left on all the time. The bulbs are from exit lamps, and Lowes had a good deal on them once, although they are normally $18 a pair.

Of course, the house does look like a scene from some kind of horror movie!

Dean

And these are the bulbs I use around the house for low level night lighting (so my kids don't fall over in the night). I have about 20 of them positioned around the house, they are only 1 W each so they get left on all the time. The bulbs are from exit lamps, and Lowes had a good deal on them once, although they are normally $18 a pair.

Of course, the house does look like a scene from some kind of horror movie!

Dean
    Interesting. Last time I went into Home Depot I saw they had about 10,000 packages of LED night lights on the shelf -- 6 for $5, .25W each with an automatic photocell. Don't know if they're any good, but I'm tempted to buy a few, and if they don't work out, gut them for the spare parts.

I guess I have a collection of CFLs. A lot of Asian stores we shop at pass some of these out if you purchase more than $40 worth of groceries. The Buffalo, MaxLite, Top-Lite, Sunpark, and the 100 watt output Greenlite were all given out by Asian grocery stores. I bought the two Philips Dimmables and the 4 pack of Greenlite 75 watt output bulbs at BigLots. The old GE magnetic ballast was from WalMart

Default Re: Light bulb collections

wonderful lightings
    A professional manufacturer of high pressure xenon lamps and lamp assemblies,
    learn more just browsing our site http://www.khc-lamp.com
    feel free to contact me kenny@khc-lamp.com.

Mad71 Re: Light bulb collections

Dean,,

You must very much love your daughter, putting her so close to a highly pressurised bulb like that !!!

Regards,

Ra.
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by yuandrew
    I guess I have a collection of CFLs. A lot of Asian stores we shop at pass some of these out if you purchase more than $40 worth of groceries. The Buffalo, MaxLite, Top-Lite, Sunpark, and the 100 watt output Greenlite were all given out by Asian grocery stores. I bought the two Philips Dimmables and the 4 pack of Greenlite 75 watt output bulbs at BigLots. The old GE magnetic ballast was from WalMart
    Thats a good collection of CFLs. I had a collection of CFLs too, should have taken a picture. I've never seen the Top-Lite or Buffalo brand before must be rare stuff. Greenlite is fairly common, I've seen the discount sticker on them except here is PG&E, a 4 pack like that would be as little as $4-$5. Sunpark at one time Longs Drugs carried them but haven't seen those in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra
    Dean,,

You must very much love your daughter, putting her so close to a highly pressurised bulb like that !!!

Regards,

Ra.
    Do you mean that plasticoated(R) indoor-safe exposion proof metal halide bulb there?

Quote Originally Posted by lpcmidst128
    Thats a good collection of CFLs. I had a collection of CFLs too, should have taken a picture. I've never seen the Top-Lite or Buffalo brand before must be rare stuff. Greenlite is fairly common, I've seen the discount sticker on them except here is PG&E, a 4 pack like that would be as little as $4-$5. Sunpark at one time Longs Drugs carried them but haven't seen those in a long time.
    Have you guys that collect CFLs seen the colored versions? They look like they are white, until you turn them on. They contains phosphors that emit only single colors. I have red, green and blue (and they sell yellow buglite versions in the shops). The greens are really intense as that is the most sensitive frequency of the human eye, giving them a higher lumen rating. Good for xmas!

Flashaholic*

Do you mean that plasticoated(R) indoor-safe exposion proof metal halide bulb there?
    I don't know about plasticoted, but what's labeled as explosion proof isn't always just that:

video

Still, her survival chances are probably far greater than mine, as Ra was kind enough to point out.
    Last edited by winny; 01-17-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

Thinking Re: Light bulb collections

Explosionproof or not, these bulbs are used with blastproof enclosures !

This is not an average household bulb you're playing with.. And if the inner bulb explodes during full operation, it will be with considderable force: NO GUARANTIE THE OUTER BULB WILL HOLD !!!

And protected or not, your sweet daughter will never stand that close to a bulb ever again, when she has experienced a lamp-burst that close at her age!!!

And indoor-safe is meant for factory and hangar-use,, not "household"-safe !!

Regards,

Ra.

MH bulbs usually blow only when they are at the end of their lifetime. That one has probably 10 hours on it out of an expected 3000, and she stood there for ooooh, lets see now, 10 seconds? I appreciate the concern, but there's probably more chance of being hit by a meteorite.

Lightbulb Re: Light bulb collections

MH bulbs usually blow only when they are at the end of their lifetime. That one has probably 10 hours on it out of an expected 3000, and she stood there for ooooh, lets see now, 10 seconds? I appreciate the concern, but there's probably more chance of being hit by a meteorite.

Yep, you're right, they usually do ! But one small defect in fabrication-process can cause them to explode earlier. Indeed chances are small, but they are real.

Regards,

Ra.

Thumbs up Re: Light bulb collections

Achilleus,

I noticed you have edited post #16..

No hard feelings I hope ...

At least we now know you have a beautifull, sweet daughter !!

Regards,

Ra.

Flashaholic*

Have you guys that collect CFLs seen the colored versions? They look like they are white, until you turn them on. They contains phosphors that emit only single colors. I have red, green and blue
    I'd like to find some of these. Where'd you see these? I've seen colored CFLs before, but they have always had colored glass, and I never really knew if they had specific color phosphor (as you describe) or were just the usual phosphor mix with colored glass...
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast