Fenix P1D CR123a 5 Level CREE X-Lamp LED Flashlight

sixshooter_45

Newly Enlightened
Is this a decent, (quality, reliable), flashlight for $70.00

Detailed Description
Fenix P1D CR123a 5 Level CREE X-Lamp LED Flashlight

Fenix P1, the ingenious mini flashlight with brilliant brightness, can be easily and conveniently slipped in your pocket or attached to your keychain. With the characteristic inbuilt current regulation circuit and stable high brightness, Fenix P1 is able to meet all your lighting needs whether you're a Police officer, Outdoor enthusiast or a person who appreciates a quality light.

Features:

• Utilizes a Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
  • Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
  • 5 Output Levels: 72 lumens (2.8hrs) -> 135 lumens (1hrs) -> 12 lumens (21hrs) -> Strobe -> SOS
  • Use one CR123A battery
  • 7.1cm (L) x 2.1cm (D)
  • Made of aerospace grade aluminum
  • Type III hard anodized finish, highly durable
  • 30-gram weight
  • Waterproof
  • Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
  • Twist switch
  • Capable of standing up firmly on a flat surface to serve as a candle
  • Colour: HA III Natural or HA III Black

Rob187

Enlightened
Oh man, there are nearly five thousand posts about the P1D CE already! Do a search of the LED forum and check flashlightreviews.com

Opinion varys but it is a remarkable light in my view.

Last edited:

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a newbie to flashlights, but just bought the P1D-CE as well as a HuntLight FT-01PJ. No doubt, the Fenix P1D-CE is a well made light that has gotten rave reviews. Whether it is worth the $70 or not depends on your needs. If you need something small and bright, with a good runtime, it probably can't be topped (yet).

But comparing it to my HuntLight (my only real comparison light so far), the Huntlight beam is nearly equivalent to the Fenix beam when the Fenix is in it's Primary setting (medium brightness). Both get about 2 1/2 hours of runtime at this setting (the Fenix with one CR123 battery and the HuntLight with two). The Huntlight is twice as big.

The only real advantages I see with the Fenix are it's smaller size, the ability to go brighter if needed (at the expense of run time), and the ability to go dimmer when needed (with a significant gain in runtime). The Fenix is $70 and the HuntLight is $30. Only you can decide how much the P1D-CE advantages are worth to you. I'm still not decided on whether it was worth the extra money. Because of it's flexibility and small size, I guess I'll keep it. After all, it is cutting edge, and you can never have enough toys :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of this light. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back under my rock. :crackup:

In all seriousness, though, this is currently one of the most talked-about lights on CPF.

My P1D-CE (black) has a lot of thread slop (and I'm not too fond of the 2>3>1>S>S). I'm probably going to return it.

sixshooter_45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I'm doing lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of reading.

I trying to find Specs,(V, A), on SF LA and LF LA and G&P LA and on all the various Batteries that AW carries.

So much to explore as I love lights as much as I do my knives and firearms.

They just seem to all go together so well.:lolsign:

coppertrail

Enlightened
Hello, and welcome to CPF! My P1D CE/L2T shipped out last week. I'm hoping they arrive tomorrow or Tues . . . :popcorn:

AArcVarc

Newly Enlightened
I got the P1D CE and the P1D. My idea was to compare the two together and figure out which one I liked best. The P1D CE pretty much kicked the P1D's butt.

The P1D was black and had thread slop while the CE was natural and had nice threads, so I returned the P1D black model and decided to try the L2T 2xAA instead, I'm still waiting for it.
Now the P1D had not been out that much longer than the CE, so I really didnt have anything to compare the CE to once I obtained it. There was nothing wrong with the light itself but the thread was very loose and untenable on the P1D.

Ive had the P1D CE alone for the last 10 days and have enjoyed its finesseful ways. I came up with several mods that make it nicer for me to use. The first on was to get some 3M adhesive texture tape and cut a 1/4" strip for around the head to make single hand operation easier.

The second was to cut 3@ 3/16" strips of the same tape for the body. Next I took 2 wraps of teflon tape around the head's threads and then gave a light coat of petroleum jelly with a q-tip on the O-ring. This puts the light in an ergonomic world I could not have imagined. You neednt do any of these 'fluff' items, and I would post a pic of it but attatchment arent allowed and I havent figured out the IMG thing yet.

But the question was if this light is a value. I think it is due to the cutting edge light technology, the Cree XR-E, Three levels and further function all options, in a small package ready to kick serious light onto any chosen object with the kind of runtime that is comparable to the better lights in similar spec.
I think we'll see additional bodies for this light, I dont know it for sure but Im guessing this will be referred to as a first in its category.

Last edited:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious to know how many of you are using a protected 123 rechargeable in this fine lighting instrument. I have seen the runtime graphs for this light. I don't mind the shorter runtime over the prime batteries because I usually recharge mine every day. Anyway, I have always used these RCR123 rechargeables in my HDS EDC since they actually recommend it. However,I am leery about doing irreperable damage to my Fenix P1D CE since the manufacturer does not specifically say you can or should use these cells. :naughty:

mboni

Newly Enlightened
senna94 said:
However,I am leery about doing irreperable damage to my Fenix P1D CE since the manufacturer does not specifically say you can or should use these cells. :naughty:

Quite a number of people (including me) are using RCR123s.

If you use the (more common) 3.7v versions of this battery, the light works fine, but the battery puts out more voltage than the digital regulation is expecting. The net result is that the light runs brighter than expected (and the battery doesn't last very long). On a fresh battery, High, Med, and Low are all equally bright. After the battery begins to discharge, the voltage it puts out starts to drop, and the regulation kicks in at the appropriate level.

If you use the (less common) 3.0v RCR123 battery, the regulated levels all appear to work at their intended brightness levels. However, these batteries typically have a little less juice in them.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
from what i've been hearing i expected more from a $70 light. "wow 135 lumiens!" well i'm not sure it was $ well spent. obviously brighter than my direct drive T bin lux 3 but didn't really blow me away. :(

i was so impressed with my LOP SE with a 3V lithium (VS 1.2 NiMh or 1.5 primary) i was hoping for "HOLY SMOKES!"

using a 3.7v lithuim, it runs in DD mode and is brighter. i need to find some regulated 3.0 V rechargeables. my 3.7 V test @ close to 4V.

still a very nice light in the usual Fenix tradition of quality and finish. but is it worth $70 ($80 CAD) i dunno.

Bryan

Enlightened
Hellbore said:
Just buy the damn thing everyone has a major Cree boner over here, just buy it you'll like it...

this was the first time I laughed out loud on this board :laughing:

Latest posts