Best LED Lithium capable flashlight between $30 and $40?

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I stumbled upon this forum and now you people have me hooked. I wanted to buy a flashlight to keep in my car for emergencies, so did an internet search, which led me here. After many long hours of reading these excellent postings, I first ran out and bought a Task Force 3W Luxeon 2C from Lowes. Nicest flashlight I've ever bought, and most expensive at $29.

But, I really wanted something that could run on lithium batteries, since it would need to be used occasionally in cold weather and needed a long "shelf" life, mainly sitting unused in my car. So with further reading, I decided on the HuntLight FT-01. (I also bought a Fenix P1D-CE since everyone was raging how good it was. It sure is. See, you guys really did get me hooked.) Anyway, I digress. I really like the HuntLight. It has a nice smooth beam that looks much nicer than my Task Force, considering it was only $4 more. It feels good in my hand and takes lithium CR123 batteries. So the HuntLight fits the bill for a great emergency light to keep in my car.

My question to everyone is this, are there any other great lights out there in the $30 to $40 dollar range that take lithium batteries (either AA or 123 - not the rechargable kind) that can match or exceed the HuntLight FT-01? I need a light for my other car and will buy another HuntLight unless I can find something equivalent to try out. Thanks so much for this great source of flashlight information.

:goodjob:

Last edited:

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
You might like the Streamlight 4AA "Propoly Lux" This is my car light - with AA lithium's. Approx. $ 30.00 shipped from Fox International or Brightguy. Welcome to CPF!
and remember rule #1. When you need to make a choice - buy both!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Nuwai makes some really decent bang-for-buck lithium powered LED lights...

many of the 5W and 3W lights sold here:
http://www.amondotech.com/luxeon_led_flashlights.html
are Nuwai brand... (the ones whoes model numbers start with stuff like ALX, TM, etc..)

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_3w_alx-332l.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_alx-632l.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

that's a list of sme 3W Nuwai's that scored 4 stars at FLR... Worth a look... especially the QIII

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 2x 123A form factor, I haven't found a light that meets or bests the Huntlight FT-01. There are others that cost a bit more that do well, come close, etc., but not for the same price. Lumapower's M1 and other offerings are very nice in build and performance, but they cost considerably more also.

Another best value/performer light in the $30 - $40 range for you to consider if you don't mind using 1x 123A instead of 2 is the Huntlight FT-02. It's $31 (+$5sh) from jsburlys and comes with a 2x AA extension tube that you can run either alkalines or Li-AAs if you'd like.
Another great 1x 123A value is the Lumapower LM-303. It's shorter and smaller (thinner) overall than the FT-02 and has a 2-stage clicky (low and high). You can get it direct from Lumapower for $27 shipped.

There are other lights in the $30-$40 range in both 2x 123A and 1x 123A form factors, but I don't think they are up to par with the ones listed above. If you'd like to consider these other ones also, look into Inova's T1 (can be had for <$40 if you shop around) and X5 (at Target or Fry's)...both look dim compared to an FT-01 or FT-02's output, Nuwai Q3 (great light overall with a poor efficiency driver), BatteryJunction Iota ($25 I think), Streamlight Scorpion LED ($40 at botac, great throw, well made, and momentary!, but less output than an FT-01), Pelican M1 2310 ($35, good throw and well built, momentary switch, but not very bright, but good runtime).

Aloft

Enlightened
You may want to take a look at Underwater Kinetics LED flashlights. I've got their switched 4AA, and UK says that lithiums are OK in this light. Streamlight and others say that using lithium cells will void the warranty (I asked Streamlight specifically about this a few years ago). UK's 2AA twisty is also a reliable light, but not very bright. The 4AA is a luxeon, but it appears to be seriously underdriven, as it as not nearly as bright as some other luxeons. But the runtime is quite long, it's tough, relatively inexpensive, and the lithiums have yet to leak despite being in the car for about 3 years. In my opinion, a great glovebox flashlight.

I also have several ElektroLumens XM3 2AA lights. They're very bright, nice color, take lithiums with no problem and are built like tanks! I'm not sure Wayne is still selling the XM3 ... if not, too bad, it's the best light he ever sold, IMO! Check out ElektroLumens, if he has any left, maybe he's selling them at a discount. Another excellent light!

suvdave said:
Ok. I stumbled upon this forum and now you people have me hooked. I wanted to buy a flashlight to keep in my car for emergencies, so did an internet search, which led me here. After many long hours of reading these excellent postings, I first ran out and bought a Task Force 3W Luxeon 2C from Lowes. Nicest flashlight I've ever bought, and most expensive at $29.

But, I really wanted something that could run on lithium batteries, since it would need to be used occasionally in cold weather and needed a long "shelf" life, mainly sitting unused in my car. So with further reading, I decided on the HuntLight FT-01. (I also bought a Fenix P1D-CE since everyone was raging how good it was. It sure is. See, you guys really did get me hooked.) Anyway, I digress. I really like the HuntLight. It has a nice smooth beam that looks much nicer than my Task Force, considering it was only $4 more. It feels good in my hand and takes lithium CR123 batteries. So the HuntLight fits the bill for a great emergency light to keep in my car.

My question to everyone is this, are there any other great lights out there in the $30 to $40 dollar range that take lithium batteries (either AA or 123 - not the rechargable kind) that can match or exceed the HuntLight FT-01? I need a light for my other car and will buy another HuntLight unless I can find something equivalent to try out. Thanks so much for this great source of flashlight information.

:goodjob: