Water Filter Info Needed

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased a SweetWater Guardian for hiking/camping. I chose it over the MSR MiniWorks based on weight and the very logical, well-thought-out info given to me at REI. Since then, I've come across some very bad reviews of the Guardian on the internet(MiniWorks reviews seem to be more favorable). Needless to say, I'm having a few doubts about my decision.

I'm looking for additional feedback, opinions, etc.

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Charles.

I've read that thread. Most of the discussion was about the MSR filters. In particular, the WaterWorks 2, which is just too heavy for backpacking IMO. I think that the SweetWater products just aren't as popular as the MSR offerings.

Any Guardian users out there?

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
I own the Guardian, and have had no problems with it. I did buy the pre-filter assembly, and I don't use a lot of force while pumping it. Yours should serve you well, too.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the gaurdian for 2 years now, it has served me well. It was bought for a kayaking trip to the adirondacks to avoid "beaver feever" in cranberry lake...it worked;)

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
It's good to hear some positive feedback on the Guardian. My main concern, other than getting the scoots
grin.gif
, is that when packed up, the intake(contaminated) and output(clean) tubes are wrapped up together.

Anyway, this weekend I'll be trying it out for the first time. I'll let you all know how it works.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Giardia cysts are everywhere, even in the most (otherwise) pristine mountain streams across the US.. Symptoms can take weeks to show, if ever..you then could become an unknowing carrier..25 microorganisms will make you ill. Use a Katadyn pocket water filter, and don't contaminate the output! Happy hiking!

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Yes, be very careful when packing and unpacking the filter and handling the bottles. I just keep the intake (contaminated) wrapped up in small plastic bag and wired up then wind up the clean and put in stow bag.

I have a PUR Guide? model that is no longer made but uses the Ranger? filter so I can keep it going. I liked the double pumping features over the Hiker? model. Aside from first hand experience with it over a few years before owning one myself.