The bean and back stretches

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got or seen the bean on tv? Its a kidney bean shaped inflatable thing you sit on and rock your way to flatter abs or flip it over and lay on your stomach or back to stretch and do other exercises. What I love to do is lay on my back on it upside down. Man, my lower back, upper back and neck feel great and the minor pain drain from those areas. I manage to get rid of a nagging pain in my neck since March of last year when I fell on the bus.

What leaves me puzzled as that the dvd that came with it talks about stretching the back by bending forward, where as I find stretching my back works by beidng backwards.

Can anyone help me with any insight as to what is going on? Maybe its something I am doing but am not aware of it or something that may need to be further investigated?

I will admit I find leaning back of slouching to be way more comfortable than up right or forward.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hi Cobb.

My wife bought one, but I've not used it yet. I've had back surgery, so I'm very cautious about the excersize equipment that I use.

The phenomena you mention is due to the fact that back pain comes from many different causes. In some cases, a nerve is pinched to some degree. This "pinch" can be caused by a narrow opening in the spine (stonosis), a bulging disk or a tendon that has trapped the nerve. I'm sure there are many other causes. Depending on your physiology, that nerve can have pressure when you lean forward or when you lean back.

In my case, a bulging disk pressed against the nerve when I sat down. It was only mildly painful when I stood up or laid down. Think of squeezing a wad of chewing gum between your thumb and finger, and you'll see that it bulges differently depending on where it's squeezed. When the disk bulged it pressed the nerve against the bone of the spine. The cure was to remove the part of the disk that bulged as well as a small bit of the bone.

Stretching can take pressure off the disks. It can also stretch the tendons so the pressure is relaxed when you are not tensed up.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but that's my basic understanding.

I'm looking at the "bean" as a way to strengthen the abs. They support the back. My doc said stong abs can help prevent re-injury.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, that sounds painful. I did have a compression fracture, but it has healed.

Just bazarr as I enjoy beinding backwards and most back stretches show folks bending forwards.

I love my bean. Its not too difficult to put in a car fully inflated and it seems to be a tv gizmo that works. Just got to get the old fashin situp out of your head as you do not have admonoial muscles in your neck.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've been using the bean for a month now. I only use it every other day. It appears to work. I can feel the tension in the stomach but not much in the back. It's the only way I can do sit-ups without my tailbone getting bruised. That HURTS!

Thanks for posting Cobb. I would have left it in the box if I had not read your post.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear it. Ive heard horror stories about folks buying them from the tv commercial, but I havent had any from the one at walmart. Of course that is just the bean, video and chart. If you want the resistant training kit, you have to buy it at **** sporting goods or the tv commercial.

I too use mines every other day or a stressful day like when my car wont start and I spend a lot of time running around it spraying ether, trying to start it and fooling with the jump starter box. Lets not forget actual work like replacing glow plugs.

I just wish the video showed more execises or uses for laying on it on your back to give me a better idea what is going on to learn more about my body.