my friend is a believer

sharkchild

Newly Enlightened
I was camping with my friend at his ranch. Well, we were doing some hog hunting at night.
At around 11:00pm we got our first hog. it looked like it weight about 150lbs. My friend used a 7mm i think.

But when we where walking to the hog we heard a rattle(spelling). So we knew it was a rattlesnake. he was using a cheap flashlight. he tried to find it with the cheap flashlight.

I was using my e2e to find the snake. it was a rattlesnake. it was about 3ft from my buddy. i told him to hold still. i loaded a birdshot and shot the snake. the snake was 3ft long.

My buddy told me that he was glad that i had a good flashlight. He told me that he wants one. he use to make fun of me because of what i paid for it. He said that any cheap flashlight would work. Some people have to learn the hard way. So today i went with him to go get a flashlight.

Guess what he bought?

E2E, like mine

He is alright.

after the incedent we just went back to the campsite. forgot about the hog.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Phew! Glad to see that your friend didn't get bitten. Good for you for converting him to a believer in decent flashlight technology!

It's too bad that rattlers don't fluoresce like scorpions do. You'd be able to survey an area with a strong UV lamp and spot all of them easily.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
so you shot the hog and didnt get it after you shot it? or were you persuing a differnt hog before you shot it and just gave up?

glad your freind got a e2e and is now a flashohlic

sharkchild

Newly Enlightened
benchmade boy,
we where walking to the first hog. He was about 50yrd when he shot the hog. so we took a couple of steps and then we heard the rattle. After the incedent we just walked back to camp he was a little shake up. The hog just slipped our minds. we when to go check on it in the morning and coyotes were eating at it.

sharkchild

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler,

what kind of UV lamp would you suggest? or could you give me a couple of names so i can do a search for them?

If the uv lamp will help then i am all for it.

I plan to go out with him this weekend so maybe i can tell him about the uv lamp.

thanks

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok as long as your freind is ok i guees that is all that matters.and at least the cyotes got a good meal. did you guys get any other hogs?

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
You really didn't have to shoot that snake you know. The reason it has a rattle is so you know it's there, just back away...what a waste of a fascinating animal...also a VERY big waste of a hog (try to remember to clean up after yourself next time, aren't hunters supposed to shoot, AND retrieve their kill?) next time just use the light so you can avoid stepping on the poor little guy (hopefully colubrid, if he's still around, doesn't here this :tsk: )

Illum

Flashaholic
D@rk Messenger said:
You really didn't have to shoot that snake you know. The reason it has a rattle is so you know it's there, just back away...what a waste of a fascinating animal...also a VERY big waste of a hog (try to remember to clean up after yourself next time, aren't hunters supposed to shoot, AND retrieve their kill?) next time just use the light so you can avoid stepping on the poor little guy (hopefully colubrid, if he's still around, doesn't here this :tsk: )

a little OT dont you think? ;)

and btw, good to know theres other snake enthusiasts onthe forum :wave:

sharkchild

Newly Enlightened
We did not get any hogs after that. Dark Messenger, i shot the snake because i will not take the chance of the snake bitting my friend. I know what the dangers are.

We were going to eat the hog. But most times we are population control. In the past 4 months we have shot about 50 hogs. Most were eating by people who knew we were killing them. At my friends ranch the deer and turkey population went down alot because of the hogs.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The Terralux UV Drop-in for the MiniMag is great. It's based on the Cree 7090 UV chip. It's not the shortest wavelength available but it will work well for scorpions, it's reasonably priced and it has lots of throw! I found mine at BrightGuy and I know that there are some vendors here that carry it also.