MagLite LED or MagLite Incan plus drop-in?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
So, yes I am a Flashaholic, even though I've only been on here less than 3 weeks!! Waiting for a JetBeam Cree AA on the GB, picked up the PF AAP3W (TaskForce 3Watt clone) also waiting delivery on a 7W LED Tactical Flashlight from GoldenGadgets.com and considering the Fenix L1D CE when that becomes available... whew!!!!.. :)

Anyway, here's what I was considering.. I really want a Maglite, classic flashlight IMHO (had one a few years back and it got stolen... long story), but I want the LED benefits. My question is, should I just get the MagLed 3D or the non-LED one and do the TerraLUX upgrade drop-ins?

The price of the 3D MagLED at Lowes is ~$35 and a regular 3D MagLite is ~$15, add the cost of the TerraLUX MaxStar3 3W Luxeon LED (~$20) and we're around the same price.. What do you addicts think??:)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Go for the MagLED. One Stop Shopping, and that way if something goes wrong Maglite will honor the warranty since it's their light and their LED.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the 3D maglite and either consider a USL or lesser hotwire, HID, or single or mulitple LED's. The best LED mod is the Hotlips type where you just cut the bulb stem add wires and wire up an led that has been adhered to a aluminum hotlips heatsink then use a cutdown mag relfector.

not2bright

Enlightened
I'm not sure exactly which Terralux you are looking at, but if it is the DB-3W then you are going to get a resistored direct drive Luxeon. You will also probably be paying shipping on the unit which can run the price up a bit.

With the Mag-LED you will get some pseudo-regulation and it will be ready to go out of the box. Plus if there is a problem you can take it back to the store rather than mess with shipping the upgrade back.

I own multiple of both and there is very little noticable difference between the output of a DB-3W on new Alk cells and the Mag-LED. Both will run a long time with a good amount of output on D cells. The TerraLux says 11.5 hours to 50% and the Mag is a little over 22 hours. I would'nt look at any of the side-emitting TerraLux as they won't compare to the performance of either the DB-3W or the Mag-LED for throw or beam style.

Here are the reviews:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm

Last edited:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
not2bright said:
I'm not sure exactly which Terralux you are looking at, but if it is the DB-3W then you are going to get a resistored direct drive Luxeon. You will also probably be paying shipping on the unit which can run the price up a bit.

With the Mag-LED you will get some pseudo-regulation and it will be ready to go out of the box. Plus if there is a problem you can take it back to the store rather than mess with shipping the upgrade back.

I own multiple of both and there is very little noticable difference between the output of a DB-3W on new Alk cells and the Mag-LED. Both will run a long time with a good amount of output on D cells.
Not2Bright.. I appreciate your input.. I was looking at the TerraLUX MaxStar3 3W Luxeon LED from MattK's site, BatteryJunction.com. But I think both you and Monocrom are right, having a single place to return the item if there's a problem would be more convenient.. Plus, it's not like I don't have any other (brighter) LED lights around/on the way...

SpiritLed

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of 3C MagLEDs (replaced old 'kryptons').
One is blue and the other white - if color matters. Both purchased at the same time.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Beat me to it, TORCH_BOY. I was wondering why BMRSEB was looking at the DB-3W when the TerraLux MaxStar5 K2 was out. If you do the drop in, might as well get the better one (I presume)? I currently have a MagLED 3D and am waiting on the K2 to arrive anytime now ... :poke:

I currently have no idea the progression route of the luxeons, I thought the K2's were better than the V's (or at least more recently released) but i dunno for sure :confused:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Effulgence said:
Beat me to it, TORCH_BOY. I was wondering why BMRSEB was looking at the DB-3W when the TerraLux MaxStar5 K2 was out. If you do the drop in, might as well get the better one (I presume)? I currently have a MagLED 3D and am waiting on the K2 to arrive anytime now ... :poke:

I currently have no idea the progression route of the luxeons, I thought the K2's were better than the V's (or at least more recently released) but i dunno for sure :confused:
Effulgence.. I know the MaxStar5 K2 is out but I figured I will probably be getting the Fenix L1D (turbo?) which is a supposed 135 lumens max, so no need for a MagLite/LED with (almost) that performance?? I know they're different form factor's, size, etc., not the point. :)

Plus, for the ~$30 for the MaxStar5 K2 and the cost of the incan 3D MagLite, I might as well just ditch the whole MagLite and get the PalmBlaze (135 lumens), for the same amount of money, ~$40, no? My reasoning for all this is as stated in my first post, is that I want a MagLite/LED, question was mods or stock?

The TerraLUX MaxStar3 3W is rated about 100 lumens (w/3D MagLite), which is more than the 3D MagLED.. But, I will most likely be getting more lights, so I might just go with the "stock" 3D MagLED as suggested above..

BMRSEB

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
If you already have the host the Terralux k2 dropin is worth looking at
I picked up the 2D MagLite yesterday from Lowes, but I will be returning it for the 3D version... MagLED, MagLite who knows??:whistle:,

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Neither. That crap belongs to the History.
No doubt! :laughing: But, it's not just about that, I really like the MagLite's always have and might as well get their latest offerings..
It's like cars in a way, you can always get the '07 model of something but it's that nostalgic "thing" of an older style that just captured you..

For e.g, as a car guy, one of my favorite BMW's is the E34 M5, produced '91-'95 (only up to '93 I believe in the U.S.), sure it's at least 16 years old and there are lot's of other faster cars out there now than it's "lowly" 310hp (340 in '95) but it's not about just the speed, power.. But, I digress this is a "light" forum..:grin2:

Last edited:
I think the beam pattern is mediocre on anything but the tighest focus on the stock Mag LED. If I recall correctly, you'll get better beam from side-emitter Terralux at the expense of long range projection.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
for what it is worth, and I think others have posted similar mods, I think that a 3xD MagLite with a K2 Luxeon thrown in (I got the Diamond one) works great.

I had a few of these MagLite's lying around and modded them and the result is a very powerful beam. Especially when you narrow the reflector and max the throw, you can light things far out into the dark - tops of trees, etc.

My one problem is that I don't like much the wide beam as those inevitable rings clutter my vision, but this is true whether you have an incan or an LED.

Now, I haven't had them a long time and cannot tell you about reliability, but by all accounts they are indeed reliable, and the 3xD formfactor is near optimal. Supposedly heat characteristics are also good for this particular Luxeon.

Basically, if you are willing to carry around a 3xD formfactor, it is one of the most powerful lights you can have while ALSO having a long run-time. Otherwise, you have to jump out to either rechargable LED lights (with exotic multi-Luxeon form factors) or HIDs, and still have to sacrifice a lot of runtime.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
for what it is worth, and I think others have posted similar mods, I think that a 3xD MagLite with a K2 Luxeon thrown in (I got the Diamond one) works great.

I had a few of these MagLite's lying around and modded them and the result is a very powerful beam. Especially when you narrow the reflector and max the throw, you can light things far out into the dark - tops of trees, etc.

My one problem is that I don't like much the wide beam as those inevitable rings clutter my vision, but this is true whether you have an incan or an LED.

Now, I haven't had them a long time and cannot tell you about reliability, but by all accounts they are indeed reliable, and the 3xD formfactor is near optimal. Supposedly heat characteristics are also good for this particular Luxeon.

Basically, if you are willing to carry around a 3xD formfactor, it is one of the most powerful lights you can have while ALSO having a long run-time. Otherwise, you have to jump out to either rechargable LED lights (with exotic multi-Luxeon form factors) or HIDs, and still have to sacrifice a lot of runtime.
I assume you have the TerraLUX MaxStar3 3Watt? If so, that's the one I originally mentioned in my posts. This probably being the most economical/practical as far as an "uncomplicated" mod/upgrade to the 3D MagLite over getting the 3D MagLED..

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
BMRSEB said:
I assume you have the TerraLUX MaxStar3 3Watt? If so, that's the one I originally mentioned in my posts. This probably being the most economical/practical as far as an "uncomplicated" mod/upgrade to the 3D MagLite over getting the 3D MagLED..

No I think the K2's are rated at above 5 watts (have seen rating referred to both as 6.5 and as 7 watts in different places so not sure which).

The 3 watt is I think a standard LED provided also by MagLite themselves in the LED version of the light which they started selling alongside the more traditional incan version.

The K2 comes as a drop in (well, screw-in) module and retains the use of the modifiable reflector. All in all, a great solution. Btw - I have not used the 3 watt version and cannot tell you anything about how it compares to the K2, but if you are going for power, it stands to reason that the K2 is the way to go; it also supposedly has much better thermal characteristics.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
No I think the K2's are rated at above 5 watts (have seen rating referred to both as 6.5 and as 7 watts in different places so not sure which).

The 3 watt is I think a standard LED provided also by MagLite themselves in the LED version of the light which they started selling alongside the more traditional incan version.

The K2 comes as a drop in (well, screw-in) module and retains the use of the modifiable reflector. All in all, a great solution. Btw - I have not used the 3 watt version and cannot tell you anything about how it compares to the K2, but if you are going for power, it stands to reason that the K2 is the way to go; it also supposedly has much better thermal characteristics.
Yeah, I kinda' made up my mind that'll be getting one of the drop-ins most likey the MaxStar5 K2 upgrade (5 watts?)... HomeDepot has a combo set of a 3D MagLite along with a 2AA MiniMag w/batteries (no batteries for the 3D) for $19! Now I have to get two upgrade drop-ins..:ohgeez: :grin2: