AutoCad rocks!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking an artificial intelligence course and have a project to do. I'm hoping to recognize an opject using image/edge detection. What's my subject? A TigerLight! (Duh!)

I'm drawing up the light in AutoCad Inventor. It's absolutely amazingly great. I've never used it before, just some others but many years ago. (But too bad it only runs under Windows -- update, reboot, slow down, watch the hard drive light, reload printer software, reboot. Argh!)

Here are a couple small samples in the "Lights" folder. I haven't figured out how to post a link so they'll just show up.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned on AutoCad 10 a great many moons ago.
We were using 386s and HP pen plotters then and I was working on a 3D modelled Corvette.
If I hit the Plot command at 10:00pm it would just about be finished when I got in the next day at 8:00am.
grin.gif

I'm afraid to think about what it can do nowadays.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I remember those sorts of things having pulled my hair out at engineering school using a very buggy SDRC Ideas package on a very buggy academic-donation machine with very buggy UNIX flavor. A solid week of work trying to get a FEA to work and no results. That was a decade ago. I hope those days are gone forever.

I basically learned AutoCad and drew up those things in over a couple evenings. Admittedly, my machine's a bit faster than a 386, but wow I can swivel the image and zoom it and add pieces and change dimensions on the fly with all the pieces snapping back together... and so far it works!

It's just so cool that I may have to use it to make myself some sort of mod.

Yup, a mod. That's it! Short-arc xenon in something that looks really cool with a custom reflector.