Headlamp that is super-flood?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
I need a reliable headlamp that has tons of flood for close-up night work. A sharp bright light is too intense. Ideas? Thanks.

Btw, I don't care if the light throws at all beyond a few feet...flood is what I have to have.

supes

Enlightened
I'm also interested in that something you are looking for, straightblast.

I use a PT Quad and it's got good spill but I don't like the blue tint from the LEDs and it could use more flood. Maybe something with a LuxV, like the SF L4 :popcorn:

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
Funny you should mention this...

I modded one of my Ray-o-Vac 3-in-1 headlamps and replaced the main incan with an array of four superflux piranha leds. The resulting light has no spot, only flood.

Toshi

mdocod

Flashaholic
take something that uses a lux1, and remove the reflector, this will give you a brilliant wide flood of light for working up close. ... i'm trying to figure out a way to replace a reflector in one of my headlamps- in such a way to get more of that flood out the front without making any "beam"... probably something simple like some white paper rolled into a funnel shape would help.

hank_moon

Newly Enlightened

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Get a $15 River Rock 2AAA headlamp from Target and take out the reflector. Two levels, all flood, and very light weight.

Geoff

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
straightblast, I use my Petzl MYO XP. I just tried to mod my original and had no luck, so I bought a new one to replace it while I repair my original to mod with a cree. The MYO uses a diffuser that flips up and makes the flood beam. I use it mostly for night work (working with small telco wires and electronics) and for hiking. I creates the perfect flood light with no hotspot (unless diffuser is down). It is perfect for working at arms reach and beyond. It uses 3AA batteries, I use Duracell 2650 NiMH. Two thumbs up from me!!

localguy808

Newly Enlightened
get a ray-o-vac 3 in 1 headlight from walmart. wire in a a cree star and take out the reflector. should be less than $30 bucks altogether and it gives a lot of flood. i use it for work