I need a light for my girlfriend to walk home with every night

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
My girlfriend has to walk home from work every night and she lives in Los Angeles. I worry about her like any good boyfriend would...but I bought her an insanely powerful tazer gun and some pepper spray. She carries both, but she doesn't have a flashlight.

I need a flashlight that will hook up to her keys, provide a decent amount of blinding light, a really good run time, preferably a high powered LED, but be small enough to keep on a key ring full time.

I thought maybe an Inova with the "stay on" switch would be good..but you guy's would know better than I would.

highorder

Enlightened
first, she needs some good training with the tazer, or it is useless.

also, she should have a light that she can strike with, as it may come to that. anything that is at least a 2x123 will be long enough to get the point across. it doesnt have to be a defender, or have a TID head to be effective.

the tazer worries me though. without proper training, items like that are more harm than good. hope that helps!

carrot

Flashaholic
I would recommend the Fenix P1. It's small enough to fit on a keychain yet bright enough to provide serious illumination. It is kinda bulky on a keychain but would be no problem in a purse. The P1D-CE is a better choice in this application if runtime is an issue, but the P1 is bright enough for the task anyway.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Fenix P1.

Simple, affordable, bright, good runtime, easily fits on a keychain (if she's carrying it in a bag or coat pocket).

CFU

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
Inova XO3 for its' output and durability, MAG 4D for a club w/ a light at one end.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, the OP is looking for a keychain light...two cell flashlights are not very practical for keychain carry.
smile.gif

CFU

carrot

Flashaholic
Mike V said:
Is it really that dangerous in LA?

(I have no idea, I've only been there once)
Like NYC, it probably depends on the neighborhood. Also, the "danger" tends to be highly overevaluated by non city-dwellers. At first, the quiet of suburbia made me more nervous than the bustle of the city. :)

Anyway, it's probably better safe than sorry, right? I have some Fox Labs spray in my jacket pocket, but I don't expect I'll ever have to use it...

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Whether at a glance, dangerous or not, it is better to be safe than sorry. The last thing you'd ever want is regret - not being about to protect those you care for.

P1D-CE seems good. I doubt a 4D Mag could be effectively utilized in addition to all that EDC. Training is always a plus.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D-CE would be great as a keychain light. If she wants a light for her bag, how about a Tigerlight? It is a combo of flashlight and pepper spray.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe the hype!!!

One of my buddies is on the LAPD and I swear they're one Saber toothed Tiger away from being a zoo!!!

Mike V said:
Is it really that dangerous in LA?

(I have no idea, I've only been there once)

highorder

Enlightened
the fenix P1 is a great light, but I dont see it as the proper tool for the scenerio you describe. when a situation goes from bad to worse, it takes seconds. often, what you have in your hands will be the only tool you have to employ. a 2 cell impact device beats anything in a bag or on the belt.

unless you are well trained in the deployment of the crap on your toolbelt, all that stuff turns into airport security.

looks great and make you feel safe; provides almost no real safety.

take it from someone that has been there and back.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
How about the PalmBlaze, super bright 130 lumens!!??.. Maybe a tad large for keychain (2 CR123's) but she can put it in her purse? Plus, it should "scald" the eyeballs.. :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The self defense aside, very good and bright keychain lights are the Fenix P1 and for longer runtime the P1D-CE.

Best regards

____
Tom

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
IMHO danger is everywhere regardless of where you live. Take precautions and you will always be safe no matter your location.

I carry a Sig P239 no matter where I am or who I am with, but I am no safer than anyone else, prepared maybe, safer no.

Get her a light and some training.

pathalogical

Enlightened
The idea of the tazer is good...only if the perp would stay still for her to use it, not likely. If she were to be disarmed, well, you know what could happen then.