The Cyanator lights up Radio City Music Hall !

reptiles

Enlightened
I spent New Year's Eve at a moe concert in NY's Radio City Music Hall. Had a great time with "The Cyanator" (a Milkyspit
5W Lux creation in a Surefire M1) during dark episodes, it would illuminate the high domed ceiling!

After the show, the stage lighting technician came over and asked me about the errie light... he kept asking me, "yea, but where is your powerpack?" and "what does it plug into?" He couldn't seem to grasp the fact that it was self powered.

Regards, Mark

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some of those Cyanators at Milky's PF7. They really are a neat color and put out alot of light. Great story about yours,Mark.:)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol cyanator!

I have a 2C TRUE cyan thats is amazingly bright. Really freaks out people!!!

Any link to the MS cyan lights?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reptiles, this is just awesome! Uh, so we gonna outfit the stage crew? :naughty:

BTW, I think by TRUE cyan Isaac means some very hard to come by LuxIII emitters that were making the rounds maybe a year back... gorgeous tint, neither too blue nor too green. I built a ridiculously overdriven (1.4A!) mod for Phaserburn using one and we dubbed it the "Cyan-ion" or simply "Cyanide" depending on who you ask. ;) Phaser reports that it's still perhaps the most intensely bright light he has, and is actually too painful (due to extreme brightness) to use indoors!

Speaking of TRUE cyan, Isaac... been unable to find any for poor ol' me! I don't suppose you might happen to find one just lying around, gathering dust, doing nothing, that you might slip over here to good ol' uncle milky? Please, pretty please?

Oh, and not sure I'd ever actually posted a thread solely devoted to the Cyanator. However, interested folks can feel free to PM me about it.

Nebula

Enlightened
I love my Milky M1 Cyanator. I use it outdoors for the most part. The LuxV is very bright. I find that in outdoor use I can navigate rough terrain better as it illuminates the surface variations much better than my white lights.

Scott- you did not mention that other cyan light you are building for me. So I will. It is a Mag 2C with quad "to-die-for" cyan Q2H LuxI emitters, McR20 reflectors, Modamag HS, driven at a mere 700mA, and powered by AW's soon to be released C-size li-ion cells.

If you like Cyan, and can find a SF M1 then send it to Milky. Awesome build. Kirk

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reptiles, most cyan luxeons are not really cyan. They are emerald green and made that way to be put in traffic lights. Traffic lights don't use normal green luxeons, since they need a emerald green for color blindness issues.

So a true 488nm argon laser color cyan luxeon is rare.
http://isaachayes.home.mchsi.com/leds/2C-Mags/ Click the link that shows the cyan being built.

Milky send me a PM. I'll see what I have.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're lucky the security didn't come over and tell you to behave!

I love shining my light back and forth during the encore to get the crowd to clap in unison. It always works, but sometimes the security thinks there is an emergency; duh, I'm just trying to pump up the crowd.

reptiles

Enlightened
Thanks for the details of the cyan/green. I do have an old ARC (somewhere?) that is a slightly more bluish tinted green. It is not nearly as bright though :)

Regards,

Mark

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
I built a ridiculously overdriven (1.4A!) mod for Phaserburn using one and we dubbed it the "Cyan-ion" or simply "Cyanide" depending on who you ask. ;) Phaser reports that it's still perhaps the most intensely bright light he has, and is actually too painful (due to extreme brightness) to use indoors!

The Cyanide is direct driven from a single 18650 cell. It does indeed draw 1.4A for a good 10 mins or so before settling down to a mere scorching 1.2A.

This light is so intense, I don't use it inside because whatever the beam hits, it causes a dazzle effect that prevents clear vision, especially white walls and reflective surfaces, windows, etc. Outdoors, the cyan beam is quite visible, more so than a white beam.