Another U2 tailcap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got my new SF U2 today via UPS and I love the darn won the luxeon lottery any donut fades after about 6" into a perfect beam but the tail cap sucks. Only about 50 clicks prolly reall yonly 25 and its stuck on.:thumbsdow I am reluctant to take it apart esp. until I get a new on I will be calling SF tomorrow at lunch at school to get a new one sent to me. FAST light is only about 5 hours old. :rant:

Ok I have created a new way to open the U2 tailcap without heat or damage. and alas I have fixed my U2 I need soem nygol so I will order that with some glass lenses for the mags. O today has been rough.

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
am reluctant to take it apart esp. until I get a new on I will be calling SF tomorrow at lunch at school to get a new one sent to me
ha ha. making a long distant phone call at school. dont worry i would do the same.but we dont get that long of a lunch break, and you might not get through as i called at noon one time and they sayed they were to busy and would call me back when they were not to busy. i would gladly send you a spare lotc if i hadnt just put it on my new light. if it makes you feel any better it shouldnt take that long to get to you since you live in cali. my u2 did the same when i first got it (about a year ago), and man it was imberising when i was showing it off and the tailcap was messing up.

hope it all gets resolved.

David Miller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm it seems to work but im unhappy I have gotten it open but not sure how I get into it.

Well now it works quite well just got jammed they use a pen style clicky seems kinda hack for such an expensive light but seems to work. I beleive I will mention to SF that due to poor lubrication of the clicky mechanism the plastic assembly gets stuck either off or on.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
He could just drive to Surefire in the lunch hour. He is only 15 miles away from them.:lolsign:
benchmade_boy said:
ha ha. making a long distant phone call at school. dont worry i would do the same.but we dont get that long of a lunch break, and you might not get through as i called at noon one time and they sayed they were to busy and would call me back when they were not to busy. i would gladly send you a spare lotc if i hadnt just put it on my new light. if it makes you feel any better it shouldnt take that long to get to you since you live in cali. my u2 did the same when i first got it (about a year ago), and man it was imberising when i was showing it off and the tailcap was messing up.

hope it all gets resolved.

David Miller

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually its only about 45 minutes but i sure could. btw thats not even long distance unless an adjacent area code is? I could get their faster walking than shipping. When I call I will ask if I can pick it up since well 15 miles isn't crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
Ok I have created a new way to open the U2 tailcap without heat or damage...

Would you care to share your technique with the rest of us? I have reason to open up my U2 tailcap, but haven't yet had an opportunity to boil it.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toofix u2 taleccaep tgootaly taek ap parrt ande lubfiscat eevrie litll prt. Is it soo ezy ny1 kn du it. sHew sum pctures of yuor liet.

Flashlight Enthusiast
? what was that all about. What you need is a vice or a tight holding device and an expansion ring removing tool that has the prong at a right angle to the handle. Aline the prongs in any 2 holes on opposite sides from each other and just twist like a wrench keeping pressure on it. I used a vice. Mine came off pretty easily and now is hand removable. I need to order some nygel now to lube it up properly. I see that that is probably the problem-poor lubrication. I will be mentioning this to SF at lunch. And as for picas I will edit tonight when I can take some.

I was reluctant to boil it since My parent's would be on to me that I had a busted 5 horu old U2, and I like easier faster methods as soon as I found my expansion ring pliers it was easy. I would be happy to send them around for people to open their tailcaps like a passaround.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have had mine for over a year now.
It has gotten stuck two times.
Both times I put a few drops of silicone
type lubricant inside the tailcap at all the openings.
It always returns to working after this and has not
caused any other problems.
This is one great light.
Just like a good knife, a little lube maintenance and lube goes a long way.
I did get a spare from Surefire the first time it froze up.
But I tried the lube, it worked, and have not used the spare yet.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bic clickie ink pens and mag switches are all about the same plastic mechanism. How come SF sticks? The pens dont use lube, as nylon is self lubricating..

Is the SF clicky stuff a different kind of plastic?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
fnmag said:
Toofix u2 taleccaep tgootaly taek ap parrt ande lubfiscat eevrie litll prt. Is it soo ezy ny1 kn du it. sHew sum pctures of yuor liet.
Please restate this in English, so everybody can understand what you're trying to say.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
fnmag said:
to fix a u2 tailcap totaly take apart and lubricate every little part it its so easy anyone can do it. show pictures of your light.

:grin2::whistle: how much did i get right?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:
to fix a u2 tailcap totaly take apart and lubricate every little part it its so easy anyone can do it. show pictures of your light.

:grin2::whistle: how much did i get right?

Go to the top of your class! :rock:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: Another broken U2 tailcap. Heh heh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at any of you; I'm laughing at SF and the U2.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Love my Surefire lights, have a bunch of them, but the clickies do suck! I just can't figure it. Fortunately, I have had great success in both repairing them and getting replacements. So far I have had to request two replacement tailcaps one for E2L and one for U2. Made the request by email, got quick response and replacements in under 10 days...never even had to pick up the phone.

BTW I am in Chicago Illinois