Recommendations?

Drundel

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all,

I've been reading a lot on here since a hunting buddy sent me a link about the LEDBeam. I bought a few of them (and just ordered a lens replacement) and am really impressed (they have got to be one of the best bang for the buck flashlights out there) and am looking for a 2-CR123 powered LED for my duck hunting bag. I like the looks and the reviews of the P1D-CE but its actually too small. The biggest I'd like go find is a 2D and the smallest would be a 2-CR123 size.

I'm not in any real hurry as duck season closes in three weeks and doesn't open again till November, so do you think there will be a lot of CREE based lights released this summer? A CREE based G2 would be pretty slick, maybe CREE based Mag 2D.

Any thoughts or inputs?

Thanks guys

westfork

Newly Enlightened
I would look at the Lumapower M-1 Cree XR-E version. Looks like one tough outdoor light that runs off 2 cr123s or a rechargable protected 18650.
For less money and lumens the Pelican 3330 (black, yellow, or tan poly) is a handy light for glovebox, etc.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Drundel, If your into hunting, like myself, I would spend some time reading about headlamps. You would be surprised how good headlamps have become. Check out the EOS and Apex. I'll go hunting without a handheld but never without a headlamp!

fishx65

Enlightened
Drundel, Good to see another hunter here. Make sure you do some reading in the headlamp forum. It's surprising how good headlamps have become. For duck hunting, the EOS and Apex are a perfect fit. I'll go hunting without a handheld but never without a great headlamp! FishX

Drundel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sorry for the lateness, I set this to notify me of replies but never received any.

Anyways,

westfork:

I read a lot about the M-1 last night and if it had the different power modes like the P1D-CE I'd already have ordered it. I'm going to watch the progress and see what develops. Actually, I really like everything about the P1D but I just wish it had more power and was a bit bigger. With as small as it is, it'd get lost with shotgun shells/hulls in my blind bag. I've e-mail LEDBeam a few times asking for a 2D Cree or a 2-123 but they said they don't have any plans to add new products soon.

fish:

Big time duck hunter here. I have two headlights now, a Myo 5 and a NightBlaster HL-8000. I don't use the 8000 anymore as it drinks the batteries but damn, it is bright. The Myo is great for putting out decoys and working on the boat/ATV and with 100+ hour runtime, I haven't changed batteries in years, but its just not that bright. So I was thinking about a good torch between 2-123 and 2D size for the bright stuff. But I haven't ruled out a new headlight. This Favourlight looks pretty damn good. If they added a Cree I'd probably pick one up, same with the Apex, if it added a Cree I'd probably get one of them. Oh and flashing/pulsing/blinking is a must. When you beat someone to a spot and hang a flashing light in a tree, your buddies can see it for miles on a clear morning. I was shocked last year when my brother went to find the blind and turned on his ICE to flash I could easily see him from the road.

Last edited: