Photon Proton? Photon Anything?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Anyone know what is up with LRI's Photon Proton flashlight?

I ordered one, but it was backordered until January.

Someone asked about it on their site's discussion board, but no reply. Ominously, there has been no reply and the post is being buried by undeleted spam. It would apear the board is about dead:
http://forum.photonlight.com/general-photon-forum-vf2.html

I tried calling and hit voicemail. (It was at the end of the day though.)

Has anyone heard anything about the Proton?

For that matter, does anyone know if LRI will have a booth at the SHOT show?

Hopefully they are just busy getting ready for SHOT. Busy is good.

Scott

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their forum comes up with dead links for me. How disappointing, I was looking to get out of debt and refinance ;)

Here's the last thing I heard about the Proton (in an email to me). I would estimate they didn't get flashlights that were up to standards and they had to reject them? What else would cause several months delay?

We are expecting the next shipment of Protons within the next couple of weeks. All of the issues which have come up with the first production run should now be resolved. If you wish to give the Proton another try, we are currently offering a 15% off Halloween sale through the 31st.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did find them listed as a SHOT exhibitor, #4843. They must be busy.

The Halloween sale was when I ordered. I don't remember the details, but I understood that they were waiting for a new shipment due in Jan. It is early Jan, so no big deal really.

I really feel for LRI over the Proton fiasco. First they had this cool, tiny light that stomped everything else in its class. Then the LED manufacturer failed them on the Jupiter LED. Then they got it redesigned and into production only to be dogged by manufacturing quality problems (in China?). Now their market -- some of it anyway -- is being sucked up by Fenix.

Has to be the world's most painful start to a really cool product.

Scott

creepy

Newly Enlightened
I am the one that asked about the Proton on their discussion board.

Here is my story: I had a Proton and really liked it. It failed (broken postitive battery contact) around the middle of October. I called customer service, they were very nice, and said I was on the list to receive a replacement in the first week of November. Then I got the email saying the Protons were delayed until January.

I called customer service again right before Christmas. I asked if there were any updates on the Protons. He said they "should be available in January". I asked if there were any more specifics (early/mid/end of January), and the guy said no, just they should be here in January. I then posted on their board and no answers, it appears no one is checking up with all of the spam.

I do like the Proton concept, I only hope Photon is waiting to announce a new, updated version at the SHOT show.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
I only got this far tonight.
http://forum.photonlight.com/index.php
I hope they are successful with a new version. I have two of the current versions. I use them more than any of my lights. Of course I had to exchange them a couple of times in the beginning, but their customer service has been superb. I've had no problems with the replacements. I'm eager for news from the SHOT Show.

betalight

Newly Enlightened
I have a Proton, It's a great little light, good for the bedside table, long life and very nice control. It's not a thrower like my P1 CE....... If I could mate the P1 CE with the AA battery and control chip of the Proton.......

:)

83Venture

Enlightened
If the Proton comes back close to the origional specs with all the problems fixed I think it still has a chance.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of track record of customer service, communications and product issues will keep me away from them until they re-establish themselves for a significant period. Just not worth the questionmarks IMHO.

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one early on and was dissatisfied with it for various reasons that have been detailed in other threads. I returned it for a refund and was happy with the customer service. At a later date I emailed them asking about any progress or plans for the problems people expressed concern about and about the lumen output, if they tested it or would test it in the future. I suspected the claimed output was not accurate and wanted to know if they tested it. If I remember correctly I emailed them directly and PM them. I was polite but direct about my concerns. I am disappointed that I received no response and have seen very little info posted to their forum and CPF. I wish them the best and really like the original concept. I think that right now the competition is providing products that are good alternatives. I feel that they have lost some of the head start they had by having a rough new product introduction.

Alex

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved their original "60 lumen Jupiter with two 3mm red LEDs" design and waited a year for it to show up. :)

What showed up was a poorly made light with overdriven 5mm LEDs because LRI does not do Luxeons. Then add in problems with threads, positive contacts falling out with a host of other problems, I wrote them off. :(

Will I get a Proton? If it is the original design with Cree XRE and two 3mm red LEDs maybe. The only problem is how could LRI design such a crappy light and attempt to pass it off like it had anything to do with the original light? If they try again with 5mm LEDs, my choice will be made for me... dumpster bait.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan Avery, "PhotonLight", has not posted at CPF for four months.

Bearcat

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Bryan Avery, "PhotonLight", has not posted at CPF for four months.

I really love my Phonton Freedom!
grinser2.gif
Maybe they are just re-qrouping, but it had better be with the new Cree LEDs or they will be left behind in the dust. How do you fit the new Cree into a Freedom?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
how could LRI design such a crappy light and attempt to pass it off like it had anything to do with the original light? . . .

I suspect that is the result of LRI being let down by first the LED supplier, and then the actual factory in China. All of the Photon microlights I have owned have been really high quality.

The whole supplier/manufacturer letdown thing has to sting. I am sure it hurts pretty bad financially too. That must have been a substantial investment. If it was my company I know I would feel less than anxious to expose myself the hellfire and brimstone which occasionally comes out at CPF. As a group, we are pretty hard on these guys.

Scott

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ll of the Photon microlights I have owned have been really high quality.

Photon's are the best Keychain Lights I have ever owned... even their low cost version of X-Light is doing superb... !

Bearcat

Enlightened
ViReN said:
Photon's are the best Keychain Lights I have ever owned... even their low cost version of X-Light is doing superb... !

I have both the Freedom and the X-Light and they both work great. I can put two or three Photon Freedoms on my keychain and never know that they are there until I need them. Clones are made to be given away, but the Freedoms stay on my keychain.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
When is the SHOT show ??

I'm hoping LRI have learnt from the mistakes made with Proton 1 ...... if there is a Proton 2 waiting to be unveiled, I'm sure it will kick *** ..... maybe ..... :D

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Their forum comes up with dead links for me. How disappointing, I was looking to get out of debt and refinance ;)

Here's the last thing I heard about the Proton (in an email to me). I would estimate they didn't get flashlights that were up to standards and they had to reject them? What else would cause several months delay?

Something like that. Severe issues with one of their suppliers. LRI has sourced someone else to do the parts in question from here on out, but as you might imagine, getting a new supplier up to speed has taken some time.

I am around, but don't check CPF regularly, since it seems like every time I do I end up spending hours. :grin2: Our forums have been moved to http://forum.photonlight.com. Please let me know if you're still having any trouble accessing it.

Latest posts