"But Officer, I couldn't have been going 120 MPH".

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
4cuqyq8.jpg

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Marty Weiner said:

Excellent use of tax payers money and public funds / resources.

Kudos to the police for spending FAR more than needed to get the job done.

Every officer deserves such an EGO machine.

I applaud the waste and extravagance!

Yay!

gorn

Enlightened
Datasaurusrex said:
Excellent use of tax payers money and public funds / resources.

Kudos to the police for spending FAR more than needed to get the job done.

Every officer deserves such an EGO machine.

I applaud the waste and extravagance!

Yay!

Having acquired a Plymouth Prowler for a Sheriff's office DARE car I know that the agencies get them for next to nothing. The publicity for the auto maker and the write off makes it worth their effort. And in addition DARE cars are paid for with cash seized from dealers by statute in California.

I'm glad you are consistent in your anti-police, establishment postings but some times having all the facts can help you from looking silly.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
quote: And in addition DARE cars are paid for with cash seized from dealers by statute in California."

In case you missed it, I said "tax payers money and public funds.

Seized assets become "public funds," since the police department is a "public agency."

It makes far more sense to put the extra money into anti-domestic violence programs, or grief counselors, or extra police officers, or newer bullet proof vests, et cetera, than it does to spend the public funds on fancy, extravagent, unneccesary, ego stroking vehicles.

BTW: EVERY statatistic, analysis, and study done (not directly conducted by a police department), has shown DARE to be an unmitigated failure.

http://www.csdp.org/news/news/darerevised.htm

http://www.fcda.org/trimble.htm
"ABC news reports that the DARE program has admitted that their anti-drug program in the nations school has failed. The report said that DARE ignored numerous reports that their anti-drug messages were falling on deaf ears."

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/uicnews.htm
"In 1991, a U.S. Justice Department study determined that kids who had gone through a DARE program used drugs as often as kids who had not."

http://tanadineen.com/COLUMNIST/Columns/DARE-ReportMag.htm
"Despite its claim to "a remarkable record of success," its widespread popularity, and the massive contributions it receives from government and private sources, no evidence exists that DARE keeps kids off drugs. Research studies consistently fail to prove its worth."

http://www.time.com/time/education/article/0,8599,99564,00.html
"Here's a news flash: "Just Say No" is not an effective anti-drug message. And neither are Barney-style self-esteem mantras."

"According to an article published in the August 1999 issue of the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, DARE not only did not affect teenagers' rate of experimentation with drugs, but may also have actually lowered their self-esteem. The study, called "Project DARE: No Effects at 10-Year Follow-Up," bluntly deconstructs every claim the program makes."

"The findings were grim: 20-year-olds who'd had DARE classes were no less likely to have smoked marijuana or cigarettes, drunk alcohol, used "illicit" drugs like cocaine or heroin, or caved in to peer pressure than kids who'd never been exposed to DARE."

http://www.mises.org/story/1188
"However, if one is to gauge success by actual results, then America's most pervasive and expensive youth drug education program is (and always has been) a gigantic and incontrovertible flop.

So says the General Accounting Office (GAO) in a scathing new report that finds the politically popular program has had "no statistically significant long-term effect on preventing youth illicit drug use." In addition, students who participate in D.A.R.E. demonstrate "no significant differences... [in] attitudes toward illicit drug use [or] resistance to peer pressure" compared to children who had not been exposed to the program"

Don't throw good money after bad.

Don't waste our public funds (be they gathered from taxes or seized assets) on an unmitigated distaster of a program.

Don't feed the ego of money hungry bureaucrats by letting them purchase extravegant, unneccesary, luxury items.

yeah, that's my $.02 and I am consistant ;)

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Oh yeah, is that "cash seized from dealers" actually seized BEFORE the conviction, or AFTER the conviction.

If it is seized prior to conviction, then whatever happend to due process? Can it really be considered legitimatly gotten gains?

And are assets only seized from "dealers," are are they also seized from casual users?

Regardless, extravegant waste on a program that is absolutly worthless.

NAW

Enlightened
$20 says this thread is going to get closed or be pointed to the CPF UG. :whistle::grin2:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its a cool car and should be used on the interstate where fools do several times the limit.

120 mph is nothing for the rice crotch rockets.

BTW, Ive seensome greydodge chargers with the pushbars on the front down highwayeast 460. They look cool, however you can spot them a mile away.

I think they should stick to sleeper cars with upgraded drivetrains, etc.

NAW

Enlightened
Anyway...

I wonder whose car that is? Is it being issued to police officers or is it a privatley owned vehicle?

BVH

Flashaholic
Near or beyond 100 MPH, I don't think the benefits derived from a pursuit are worth the potential injury/death of innocent bystanders, the LEO or destruction of property. Use radios, helicopters and strategically placed puncture strips or just let em go depending on what they did. Our PD used a Testarosa for a while which I thought was a complete waste of time and money.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Looks cool to me. We have a "DARE" car here in Jonesboro and the Officer visits schools. At least one 16 year old kid knows him by name and respects him. My kid.
On the few occasions we end up next to him at a light Eric rolls down the window and gets his attention just to make sure he has his seat belt on. He always smiles and says "Hi Eric you bet I do". This guy sees hundreds of kids ranging from maybe 6 to 18 in several local schools, he recognizes my kid and calls him by name. That does wonders for my kids self esteem : for me it is not a waisted effort. YMMV
Topper

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
If you're going to make a cop car out of a roadster, shouldn't you at least make it a FAST one? :rolleyes:

Agreed. That police car would be good for chasing down SCCA racecars on a 9-turn road course, but on the open highway any long-legged sedan would flat run away from that thing.

I'd pay some real money to see officers do a PIT maneuver in one. ;-)

Greta

Flashaholic
Only speaking from my little corner of the world in the middle of the freakin' desert... YMMV...

Money (cash) seized during/from drug raids is held in a special bank account as evidence until after conviction (or acquittal). That cash cannot be touched by anyone. If convicted, the cash then becomes (as Data stated) public funds. However... that doesn't necessarily mean that it can (or will) be spent for the public. The cash goes into the city general funds and is considered a surplus to be spent however the city council chooses.

It makes far more sense to put the extra money into anti-domestic violence programs, or grief counselors, or extra police officers, or newer bullet proof vests, et cetera,...

Absolutely! However, seeing as how the annual budgets for those programs and departments are already in place, those "extra" funds will be allocated elsewhere at the discretion of a bunch of good old boys with personal agendas. Most of the programs cited above get laughed out of the city council meeting if they even hint at having a need for those "extra" funds.

So that leaves the seized property. It can be sold off at public auction for a ridiculously small return or it can be put into service as is. Again, this allocation must go through the city council and is up to their discretion but more often than not, they can't be bothered with all of that paperwork (and just plain work!) and figure it's easier to just let the cops have the property rather than allocate funds to purchase such needed items as new vehicles.

... than it does to spend the public funds on fancy, extravagent, unneccesary, ego stroking vehicles.

I know that here in our department, it is next to impossible to get funds allocated for vehicles. We have squad cars that are over 10 years old with mileage that would blow your mind for a town where you can get from any one point to any other one point in less than 10 miles. Can we get new vehicles? Nope! Patch up the ones ya got! So when they get their hands on vehicles during such seizures, they do everything they can to keep their hands on them. Giving the chief a fancy, ego stroking vehicle that is FREE instead of a Crown Vic that can be used as a squad makes far more sense. Giving the gang squad a seized Tahoe (that is FREE) instead of a Crown Vic that can be used as a squad makes far more sense. Giving the DARE officer a seized Mustang (that is FREE) instead of a Crown Vic that can be used as a squad makes far more sense... (it only sits in the school parking lot all day anyway). So you see? I've just freed up 3 Crown Vics to be used as squads!

I can't speak for any other city and/or department but I know that here, public funds are not spent on buying these vehicles. The vehicles themselves are seized property and if it weren't for those vehicles, our PD would never see very much needed new vehicles.

And I have to admit... I LOVE seeing these seized vehicles all painted up with D.A.R.E... the irony is just beautiful...
biggrin.gif