Best way to send money to Canada?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the best way to send money to someone in Canada? I bought something off ebay from someone in Canada and they said they can't cash "green" style money orders. But they would take money orders. I just want to make sure they can cash whatever I send them. So before I send anything, I was wondering if anyone from Canada can tell me the best way to send us currency to Canada where they can cash it without problems. International money order maybe?

Any help would be appreciated. :popcorn:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never, ever, use Western Union to send payment for goods bought through an ebay auction.

Like greg_in_canada says, orange international money order purchased from the USPS is the way to go.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually international money orders are common and easily available. The main point of his posting is to let you know that the common green money order is next to impossible to cash up there. You can always send cash money in a sealed letter, birthday card, or small box, but you do so at your own risk. I've never had a problem doing that but YMMV.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help. I was just going to send cash, but I just wanted to see if there was another way. International money order it is! :)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also had luck with people sending small amounts of cash ($20 or less) in an opaque envelope. I always warn them that it at their own risk if they send cash.

Greg

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bank of America has a program of sending money to Mexico called safesend, maybe they have one for Canada since its also another country?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
The best way to send money to or get money from Canada is with a Postal Money Order. Our USPS has a reciprocal agreement with the Canadian Postal folks to honor each others postal M.O. You are supposed to be able to cash them at any post office, and they can be checked on the spot to verify their authenticity. International M.O., or anything else, can still be returned to your bank if they are bad, and may cost you extra fees to process them in addition to losing the face amount if they bounce. I think there is a $1,000 limit on PMO, but you can buy multiples if needed.