cold weather gloves

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm looking for a pair of gloves to keep my paws warm, but need dexterity for writing, turning pages and punching a keyboard.

comments/suggestions welcome.

2dogs

Enlightened
Try silk gloves. If you go to a ski shop of which I'm sure there must one somewhere in Texas you could try doing what you want with them. An outfitter should have them.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'll second getting a pair of silk/polypro glove liners - not much thicker than a pair of latex "exam" gloves, and they keep your warm - BTW for those of you who licve in cold climates - Put a pair of these on, THEN put on your gloves/mittens - Your hands will thank you - you can also get SOCK liners

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a pair of polypropylene glove liners to wear under my motorcycle gloves for our occasional cold (45F lol) nights here in south Florida. They don't make any difference at all going fast on a bike in the cold but they would probably be good for what you said. They're 4 bucks at army navy, 7 or 8 I think at riderwearhouse.com, and 20 at Peter Glenn ski shop, virtually the same gloves in all 3 places as far as I could tell. YMMV.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Gloves with cut fingertips keeps your dexterity, page turning ability and typing-ness intact.
wink.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened
Pilot's gloves allow you to have good dexterity -- they work well for shooting also. They are not that warm and not that cheap, but are made of Nomex (for when your keys are moving so fast on the keyboard that there's a danger of combustion) and have soft leather on the palm and underside of the fingers. Flight Suits, www.flightsuits.com sells them. They come in 5 sizes. Nota bene: the last couple of sets I've got from them seem a bit tighter.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ygbsm, what do you use them for? and why in the heck would anybody need a flightsuit!?

i'm think i'm going to check out the ski silk gloves and then maybe mechanix gloves. i don't think the mechanix will be very warm though, but cheap, available at any auto zone and cheap.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isotoners are fairly warm and have good dexterity, now that I think of it.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
The HAM guys around here swear by winter golfing gloves. Enough dexterity to work on things, but still some warmth.

Polypro liners are great, unless there is wind, in which case by themselves, as stingray said, they're useless.

For driving and general use I use a cheap pair of leather gloves with a sythetic fleese lining. Blocks the wind well, but thin enough to put air in a tire with or something. A drawback is that the fleese seems to wick away the natural oils on my hands and dry them out. I think next I'll try to find something with a natural fiber lining.

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl:

"Why in the heck would anybody need a flight suit?"

Russ: Around here we fly in a thing called a airplane. If your cool, you wear a flight suit.

Sooner or later you will have airplanes in Texas and thus will probably need a flightsuit.

Best regards,

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've flown in airplanes but no flight suit required. y'all must be upper crust in ohio, or really cool.

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl:

I tried to put a smiley face after the flight suit story in the last post. (I know how easily you are offended), but I could not get it to work.

Gloves: We have wool fingerless gloves up here tha work very well. Try www.cabelas.com

Your right. In Ohio were both uppercrust and cool.
smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, i know you jest. i thought we were keeping it a secret though.
icon3.gif

shhhh......i hear housemother....
grin.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by tkl:
ygbsm, what do you use them for? and why in the heck would anybody need a flightsuit!?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've used them shooting and hunting.

Beats flying naked?!
grin.gif