Still looking for a CR123A flashlight, with great throw…

whc

Enlightened
I am (still) looking for a new flashlight of great quality, not an EDC but a flashlight with great throw (hot spot) and little spill, rear twist/clickie with momentary on (not reverse clickie), great quality have to be able to take some beatings and use in the rain, able to use 2x CR123A (and 3,7v rechargeable) or one 17670/18650.

I have bean considering the Pelican M6 2390 wary much like the simple design, and/or the Surefire E1L/E2L or Surefire U2 (though a little to expensive I think).

Witch ones have the best/longest throw?

It is not an DC light I am looking for, there I have made up my mind (The Lumapower F-Mini, and Novatac EDC-85, Fenix L1P SE is my next EDC flashlights). I need a light with more power, to take with me when need extra throw at longer distances and with little spill (like the Hokus Fokus, only more durable with lithium batteries).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican 27mm reflector is reknown for throw. Otherwise, if you can afford it, the Aleph III for a SF E Series

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak Rainier from Peak LED Solutions is a little out of the specs you gave being that it uses only one RCR123a 3.7v battery. It does have great throw, especially for its small size. According to FlashlightReviews it has a throw rating of 40.62, which puts it slightly ahead of the Surefire E2e and E2L lights. Peak lights are of great quality. This one has a head twisty and you can order a momentary switch for about $10. It will definately take a beating and come up bright!

The review on FlashlightReviews for this light is password protected:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/cpfpeak/
Username: cpf
Password: peakaboo

The review was for the first run of these, the 2005 CPF Peak Special, which is the same light as the Peak Rainier except for the color. Last time I looked at the Peak web site [two months ago] they were on sale.

taiji

Enlightened
LedLogic Striker is a nice thrower with little side spill but bright enough. Variable brightness + strobe and runs on RCR123's either 3.0 or 3.7 v.

whc

Enlightened
-->GarageBoy
Sounds nice, but would rather go with stock head :).

-->LED_Thrift
Already have EDC flashlights in my buy list, not looking for another one cell flashlight, has to have two cells.

-->FirstDsent
Sounds nice if it is upgradeable, U-bins how much brighter is it compared to T-bins?

-->Bill97z
Have thought about the Inova T3/XO3, looks like great flashlights, but a bit to long for my taste (would prefer shorter than the 2AA minimag), and XO3 throw at 1 meter (lux) ~ 1960, compared to Pelican 2390 throw 1 meter (lux) ~ 2750 (flashlightreviews.com), not that impressive...

BMRSEB

Enlightened
LumaPower LumaCraft D Mini? Look here and here.. :) I'm thinking about abandoning my whole 3D MagLite w/MaxStar5 K2 LED drop-in and just getting the D Mini.

I am already on the JETBeam AA Cree order list and have a 7W Luxeon on the way as well as the AAP3W. I think I'm good for a while.. Although being on this board will "force" you to disagree..:laughing:

whc

Enlightened
Yes the D-Mini is a great flashlight, am though waiting for the F-Mini, with 2 stage light, HA III, and a new reflector designed for the Cree, belt clip.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my D-Mini but you're looking for a 2 cell-123 or 18650....so, LumaPower M1 Cree. Order now and delivery srarts in about a week. This will outthrow the D-Mini! :rock:

whc

Enlightened
fnmag said:
I love my D-Mini but you're looking for a 2 cell-123 or 18650....so, LumaPower M1 Cree. Order now and delivery srarts in about a week. This will outthrow the D-Mini! :rock:

If the M1 Cree had momentary on, i would be all over it :D. But unfortently it has a reverse clickie :(. If Lumapower would make a switch like Surefire or Pelican, i would be a perfect light for me, and it has a good price :).

whc

Enlightened
Hmm Lumapower will make a normal clickie = momentary on for the M1 that will be available in a few months, I am thinking about going for the M1 XR-E now, looks like a wary nice light, that can use protected 18650 cells for extended runtime.

How is the throw compared to Pelican M6 2390, is there some comparison made between the two?

Zymurgy

Newly Enlightened
LED flashlight with the best throw is: http://www.ledbeam.com/
It is a 3C reverse clickie but the throw is unbeatable.

I also have an Aleph 3 which I love (it also meets all your requirements) but does not beat the LedBeam for throw.

Zymurgy

whc

Enlightened
-->Zymurgy
Not really what I have bean looking fore, it is too long, and does not accept CR123A batteries or no tactical operation...But looks like a nice thrower indeed ;)...

daveman

Enlightened
Hey WHC, I was in the same shoe you're in now. I was deciding between the VB16 and the Pelican M6 2390 for the best 2-cell thrower. Then the XR-E maddness came along. You're best bet right now would be to wait for Lumapower's M1 CREE, as they have saide it will have greater throw than the already impressive D-mini. If you want spend a little extra, you can browse through McGizmo's offerings; he has some crazy stuff, they're pricey, but are about the best money can buy right now.

martonic

Enlightened
whc said:
I am (still) looking for a new flashlight of great quality, not an EDC but a flashlight with great throw (hot spot) and little spill, rear twist/clickie with momentary on (not reverse clickie), great quality have to be able to take some beatings and use in the rain, able to use 2x CR123A (and 3,7v rechargeable) or one 17670/18650.

I have bean considering the Pelican M6 2390 wary much like the simple design, and/or the Surefire E1L/E2L or Surefire U2 (though a little to expensive I think).

Witch ones have the best/longest throw?

It is not an DC light I am looking for, there I have made up my mind (The Lumapower F-Mini, and Novatac EDC-85, Fenix L1P SE is my next EDC flashlights). I need a light with more power, to take with me when need extra throw at longer distances and with little spill (like the Hokus Fokus, only more durable with lithium batteries).

Take a look at the Lumapower M1 with smooth reflector - or wait for the coming DX1 - RV (a multi-level Cree powered by 3 x 123). Runtime graphs make that M1 seem like exactly what you're looking for. And they say it out-throws the D-Mini - that's serious! :rock:

whc

Enlightened
I will go for the Lumapower M1 XR-E, think it is the best solution. Will buy it with both reflectors, just to see what kind is the best. And then I just hope that Lumapower will release the normal clicky with momentary on soon :D...Can't wait for the F-Mini either, should be more powerful than the D-Mini due to better bin LED, should come in February (if all goes well)…

BMRSEB

Enlightened
whc said:
I will go for the Lumapower M1 XR-E, think it is the best solution. Will buy it with both reflectors, just to see what kind is the best. And then I just hope that Lumapower will release the normal clicky with momentary on soon :D...Can't wait for the F-Mini either, should be more powerful than the D-Mini due to better bin LED, should come in February (if all goes well)…
Good deal.. I'm still torn between the M1 and the D Mini, now that either can be ordered for throw or flood.. I might go M1 since I have a JETBeam on the way soon..