Globalstar & Iridium satellite-phone rentals

guncollector

Enlightened
Anybody out there have experience with renting Globalstar satellite-phone rentals?

It seems now that the prices have come down to less than $70/week rental, and int'l calls to the US less than $2.50/minute, that it would be prudent to have one on our deep sea fishing trips in the Sea of Cortez or in the Pacific.

I've been checking out PHI Leasing's website, and they seem to have a good program.

Question is: anybody out there have experience with other rental outfits?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Globalstar cover more than the US? I know Iriduim (sp?) covered the world but I didn't know if globalstar did.

As far as renting I don't know.
You could try Howard forums

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, here's the skinny. I had a very productive conversation with Bill, who's owner of Phone Home International Leasing. Nice guy, very well informed on the subject of satellite-phones.

PHI rents satellite-phone for both Globalstar and Iridium's networks. IIRC, Globalstar covers much of the world, but has holes over some vast stretches of desert, and the Pacific. Iridium's phone will get you a signal (with a semi-clear horizon) anywhere on Earth.

I inquired of Phil about a week's rental, for example, on my saltwater fishing trip with family and buddies out of Loreto, Mexico into the Sea of Cortez. Our crew take out between 5 to 6 22-foot fiberglass boats, and are often in excess of 15-20 miles offshore.

He said rental cost would be $64/per Iridium phone, per week. PROS: Calls are $1.50/min. to anywhere on earth. Incoming calls are FREE. Calls to other Iridium phones are $0.99/min. CONS: Those who call you will pay $3-8/min. long-distance no matter where the origination of the call. Weird, but no biggie. You originate all calls, save the incoming for REAL EMERGENCIES at home.

The rental cost of a Globalstar would be $64/phone/week. PROS: Lighter phone unit, better sound, and GSM compatible. Those who call you only pay their long-distance cost to a Texas area code. CONS: Not truly seemless worldwide coverage. Cost for calls are base $1.99/min., plus local international GSM network charges (in Mexico this adds about $0.50/min.).

For our uses, on our fishing trip, we're gonna go with Iridium phones, where we expect only to call out and to one another and don't expect incoming calls.