Princeton Tec EOS on clearance at MEC for $31 (Canada)

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I've been eyeing the EOS for a while after cursing the fact that we almost never get the good deals on the EOS like our southern neighbors, like those $25USD sales about a month back. So I was poking around some Canadian sites and found the EOS on clearance for $31.00 CAD at Mountain Equipment Co-op (which is really close to the $25USD sale prices). HERE.

I bought a couple for myself and a couple for my co-workers. We figure it'd be handy with all the weird weather and power outages lately in Vancouver. 90kph+ winds and snow... not normal weather for Vancouver. The Vancouver store "had" the blue, gray/green, and orange ones. Now they only have the gray/green (4) and bright orange (10) ones. ;) The packaging was different though. The blue and gray/green ones came in a smaller pack without batteries, but the orange ones came in a larger package with 3 Duracell AAAs. Orange is not my color otherwise I would have gotten them because they came with batteries.

EDIT: Correction, the smaller packaged ones do in fact come with 3 Duracell AAAs. It's just that they were already installed into the light and not packaged separately. Doh! I think I'll open it up and try it before posting next time. ;)

EDIT2: I really should fully test it out before posting. Out of the 3 blue ones, 1 of them didn't have those 2 plastic posts melted from the factory, so I just popped out the battery compartment and opened it up without having to drill out the melted "dots". It has a nice and white RX0H in it. My other blue one has a slight pink/purple tint to it compared to the RX0H one, but this one is already open for me from the factory. :D Oh yeah, it blows away my 0.5W River Rock headlamp. Wait until I put a XR-E P4 star into this EOS. :naughty:

They also have the 3x 5mm Princeton Tec Aurora on clearance for $21. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not but I already have the River Rock 0.5W headlamp from Target (friend bought it for me on a trip to the States) so I didn't need it.

Last edited:

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Please post when you put the CREE into the EOS. I've got a couple of CREEs on order, one of which is destined for my EOS...

I'm a bit intimidated by the whole thing, so I'd like to see a "how-to"...

--Matt

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Thanks for the link AndyTiedye, that post by Pumaman was what got me started looking for an EOS, but at the time I couldn't find a good deal on one until now. Now I just need to order a couple XR-E stars.

If you're okay with a soldering iron, drill, and sandpaper, it should be pretty easy once you open it up. About 3/4ths down this thread, Pumaman posted a picture of the 2 "plastic dots" that need to be gently drill out so that you can remove that battery holder assembly that contains the circuit and LuxI. Then all you have to do is unsolder the old LuxI and solder in the new XR-E star to the same wires. Then widen the opening of an IMS17 reflector with a drill so that the XR-E can fit through the hold and start sanding the back (where the XR-E pokes through the reflector) end a little bit at a time to tweak the focus. The IMS17 wasn't designed for the XR-E so the spot/flood isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, cheap and it's readily available.

gunga

Flashaholic
Augh! I will have to head there tonight and pick one up. Does anyone know where I can get an IMS17 reflector without spending a mint on shipping charges to Canada? How about othe stuff, like minimag glass lenses etc?

THanks Avro (love the reference to the Arrow BTW, a classic plane).

I guess I will have to live with orange or perhaps Grey/green...

AvroArrow

Enlightened
gunga said:
Augh! I will have to head there tonight and pick one up. Does anyone know where I can get an IMS17 reflector without spending a mint on shipping charges to Canada? How about othe stuff, like minimag glass lenses etc?

THanks Avro (love the reference to the Arrow BTW, a classic plane).

I guess I will have to live with orange or perhaps Grey/green...

You can get IMS17 reflectors from PhotonFanatic for $4-5 USD. I've order lots from him multiple times and he's great to deal with. Shipping to Canada is only $2 USD and usually comes within 2 weeks from Massachusetts. I usually try to order in batches to maximize the value of that $2. :D Speaking of which, I'm down to my last IMS17 so I'm gonna have to order a few more myself. The Sandwich Shoppe also carries IMS17 reflectors & mineral glass lenses but I've never ordered from them before, so I'm not sure what the shipping charges are like to Canada nor shipping time.

Yeah, the Arrow was a classic plane with a sad story.

The gray/green one isn't bad, it's actually mostly light gray with a splash of fluorescent green in front, just like the one reviewed on Flashlight Reviews. The orange one is mostly orange with a splash of dark gray in front. Good if you want a high visibility light.

gunga

Flashaholic
You wanna split an order Avro? I just got an eos (blue/grey) at the Co-op today (Vancouver).

Does PhotonFanatic have any lenses or anything else I should know about? Seems like reflectors, emitters, optics, thermal paste and a kroll switch. Not much for the non-modding layman.

Where do you use your ims 17 reflectors? I think I would only need 1 for the eos.

gunga

Flashaholic
Grapplex, I couldn't find a quad in town for less than $45 Cdn (Coast Mtn). They go on sale once in a while for about $34, but it's not too often...

Anyone else see one in Vancouver for less? Elsewhere in Canada?

I just noticed MEC is now carrying the BD spot for $36 also. It seems nice, but I've read the beam pattern is not so great and the complete lack of waterproofness does not appeal to me. If PT had an equivalent, I'd be all over that. I guess they just want you to buy a Quad and and EOS...

gunga

Flashaholic
Just go to www.MEC.ca

I know they will ship, but I have no idea how much it costs to Australia. It's a pretty big, popular Outdoor store/Co-op. Kinda like REI of Canada. You need a membership ($5 lifetime). I've been a member for 20 years and have spent way too much money there.

Overall, good prices for most stuff with great return policy.

Probably not the best place for flashlights tho. However, this is a nice deal on the EOS.

Can't wait to get my reflector, the tunnel vision effect is pretty annoying!

AvroArrow

Enlightened
gunga said:
You wanna split an order Avro? I just got an eos (blue/grey) at the Co-op today (Vancouver).

Does PhotonFanatic have any lenses or anything else I should know about? Seems like reflectors, emitters, optics, thermal paste and a kroll switch. Not much for the non-modding layman.

Sure if you only need 1, I'll just order an extra one in my next batch. That's about all PhotonFanatic carries unfortunately.

grapplex,
I just looked up the specs on the Quad and it's brighter than the EOS and is more of a flood light, but peak brightness runtimes are shorter than the EOS. And like gunga said, it's expensive here unless I can catch it on a sale.

Concept,
international shipping from MEC for this would be prohibitively expensive. It starts at $50 CAD. :faint: If you really want one, I can check at the post office how much it is to ship one to Australia and I can get one for you. It's $31.00+13% tax=$35.03 CAD ~ $38.24 AUD (according to xe.com today) plus whatever shipping. I know how bad it sucks when you can't get in on those awesome US-only deals sometimes.

gunga,
yeah, you'll notice a big difference just changing the NX05 optic to IMS17. You'll get a tighter and brighter hotspot with wider sidespill, though the sidespill isn't all that bright, but it's still useful for peripheral vision. This is only my 2nd purchase from MEC since I got the membership about 7 years ago. I found their prices only so-so for most stuff, but they do have a good selection.

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks AvroArrow, that is mighty kind of you. If you could let me know what the cost of shipping is on top of that then I would know if it is worth the effort or not.