Problem with my 4D Maglight

the_t0ny

Newly Enlightened
I knocked over my 4D Mag off the top of my dresser today, and when i turned it on to make sure it was ok, it didnt light up. The buld looked fine, and I put fresh batteries in it and it still didnt work. I tried the spare in the tailcap, but it was in pieces(I think I broke the spare buld in the tailcap when i dropped in in my backyard or when it fell off the dresser today).

So is there anything else I need to check before I purchase a new buld for it?

Thanks.

iamerror

Enlightened
If the flashlight was working before it fell, I would assume the bulb broke when you dropped it. If it wasn't working before it fell, double-check that the tailcap spring is not in backwards.

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
Check the filament in the bulb real closely to see if it is broken. If it isn't the bulb it is probably the switch/lamp assembly.

the_t0ny

Newly Enlightened
i think its the switch assembly because i looked closely at the buld and the filament is fine. how would i work on the switch assembly?

thanks for the help too.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the bulb. There's not much to go wrong inside the switch, and if there was something wrong with it, it probably wouldn't "click" any more.

dw51

Enlightened
Probably the bulb. There's not much to go wrong inside the switch, and if there was something wrong with it, it probably wouldn't "click" any more.

Not necessarily. One of mine would click, but would only work when in the momentary position. One of the plastic pieces that holds the contacts in the switch (I'm at a loss for technical terms) was broken. A little super glue, and so far it's fine.

Back to main topic. I would probably put a new bulb in and give it a try. It sounds like you need a spare anyway even if it isn't the bulb.

Vickers

Enlightened
I'd buy a Mag LED drop-in for it. 18 bucks at WalMart (they were 15 at Home Depot a week ago but I think that sale is over). You'll likely never need another bulb for it, and you batteries will last longer.

The only time my 4D quit was when I dropped it and one of the batteries was slightly dented, enough to mess it up inside (I guess). Fresh cells and all worked after that.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try another bulb. They are pretty cheap and you would need another one in the tailcap anyways. Or... try shaking the light, do you hear anything loose?

g36pilot

Enlightened
If you have a multi meter, check the bulb with the continuity test function. Sometimes a broken lamp circuit isn't readily apparent.

the_t0ny

Newly Enlightened
im going to try a new bulb, ill probably just get a LED drop in.
everything else seems fine.
thanks for the help everybody.

maglitesales.com

Newly Enlightened
It sounds to me like it's definitely the bulb. The filament in the incandescent bulbs breaks fairly easily when dropped. I agree with previous posts, re: checking resistance on the bulb, etc, but as cheap as bulbs are, you may as well grab a spare or two and move on.

If I can ever get restocked in the Maglite Store, we offer excellent prices on the Maglite LED Upgrade modules and we also carry all of the Magstar (Xenon) and Whitestar (Krypton/OEM) Maglite replacement bulbs

the_t0ny

Newly Enlightened
i just got the LED upgrade today, put it in, and i am very pleased with it, dont know why i didnt buy one earlier.

thanks for all the help everybody.

i might also get the magstar and whitestar bulds to see how it is, which one is better?

not2bright

Enlightened
the_t0ny said:
i just got the LED upgrade today, put it in, and i am very pleased with it, dont know why i didnt buy one earlier.

thanks for all the help everybody.

i might also get the magstar and whitestar bulds to see how it is, which one is better?

If you have the MagLED upgrade I would not waste your time with the Magnum Star or Whitestar. BTW, the Mag-num star is the better of these two bulbs.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
im glad you upgraded AND got it fixed!

Now, everyone is going to kill me here for pointing this out.. but if it happend to be the switch. You could send it back to mag, and they would repair it for free.

I sent one light to them, and it came back with new bulb, a new switch and cover, new o rings (freshly lubed), and the threads nice and clean.

I know its not much in terms of work or cost, but thats one of the reasons I keep buying from them. Great customer service from an American company that builds rock solid products.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
coldsolderjoint said:
....Now, everyone is going to kill me here for pointing this out.. but if it happend to be the switch. You could send it back to mag, and they would repair it for free.
I sent one light to them, and it came back with new bulb, a new switch and cover, new o rings (freshly lubed), and the threads nice and clean.....
One of the reasons why I just recently bought a 4D MagLED. I know there are numerous options out there for better, brighter, less heavier lights, but I wanted a MagLite (always did) and not having to "deal" with upgrades/drop-ins, etc., even though I'm sure the companies/persons affiliated with those upgrades stand by their products and are worth it.

I have my other lights that'll give me more light in a complete (read factory-built) solution. What can I say? I'm not much of a modder when it comes to flashlights.. Though hanging around here might change that.. :)