D**N Thieves - But at least I got to play

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I was surfing a little over an hour ago, the little old lady across the street that I keep an eye on called to say she didn't have any power. Of course I grab a couple flashlights and walk on over. As expected, she has a cheap plastic 2D with the bulb just barely glowing. I handed her one of my loaner Rayovac 2Ds with an PR based SMJLED. I used my Mag2C/Flupic/Lux3 to find the breaker panel and all is normal. Cycling main breaker did no good. Outside to check the meter, expecting to find some kind of disconnection notice or such.

WELL, THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM! No meter, but not a nice clean job by the electric company. The meter cover is on the ground, the meter base is empty, and the live base is open to the winds. Now I'm thinking, THIEVES! But just to be sure, called the electric company to report it. Sure enough, bill is paid in full, "We'll send the service rep right out."

While we wait, my neighbor calls in to report the theft to the police and I go to check the area. Back to my house, drop off the Flupic, grab the Mag85. Off to check the neighborhood. Nothing to be found. I let my neighbor know everything is OK and I return to my house to wait for the police and the repairman.

Here comes the spotlight, it must be one or the other. Grab the Mag2D/Shark/3xLux3/FM6aa and go to meet them. It's the Sheriff's deputy. Give him the story and show him the missing meter. He's got a somewhat weak little incandescent. I couldnt see what type since all but the head wrapped by his hand but it did have a tail clicky and a smallish head. Maybe a surefire clone or one with really weak batteries. Of course, as many others have reported, even though my LED was swamping his incandescent, he kept it's little yellow blotch shined in the middle of my wall of white. And look, here comes the electric truck and a second deputy. The second deputy has a standard MagD, I'm not sure if it was 2 or 3 cells, most of the length was tucked under his arm and only the tailcap was visible. The electric rep is a little better equipped, he has a helmet mounted lamp of decent output for this relatively close up work. It's even LED based, although it's just about a dozen 5mm LEDs. The output is nice and white; nothing special but still, a good area light for the job. :thumbsup:

I go inside with the deputy so he can get my neighbor's report and leave the electric rep to put in a new meter. A few minutes later, LET THERE BE LIGHT! A few seconds later, a blaringly loud TV. Quick, find the remote and shut that thing up. Ahhh, much better. Just another minute or two to finish up the report and the deputy is out to talk to the electric rep. He says "this is the third one today, it happens all the time. Which is really stupid, it's not like you need a meter. If these people want to steal electricity, they just need a couple of 16 penny nails stuck in the slots." Of course, I'm wondering if it's that common, why not make these bases more secure.

Now as everybody departs, I go back to my home and get some new batteries for my neighbor's dim 2D. I replace the batteries for her, make sure it's back to "full" brightness, and recover my loaner from her. Thus ends my flashaholic adventures for the evening.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you.
But did you getr arrested when you went to "... show him the missing meter."? :grin2:

Traveling with a friend once he said his father stopped the first suicide off the Golden Gate bridge. I just stared at him for a mile or two. Then he said (expletives deleted) his dad stopped the first known attempt off the bridge.

swampgator

Enlightened
Don,
I just noticed you live in Belton. One of my old sergeants retired from Ft Hood and lives there.

I haven't been in your neck of the woods in 12 years or so, but I remember it fondly!