Progold Deoxit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
I was wanting to get some Deoxit and Progold to use on some various lights and such.

The local Radio Shack has the spray cans available.

The spray cans are said to have 5% solution and the pens or the little bottles are said to be 100% solutiuon.

My question is how do these compare? It seems like 5% isin't enough to do anything in a flashlight application where the contacts are very small.

So what has been your experience with using the Progold?

I noticed there were a bunch of the pens for sale a few months ago. They are not available for a fair price any more. The only places online I found to buy the pens would have cost about $40.

Is the 5% stuff at Radioshack enough or not?

THANKS!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the kit at Radio Shack that has the DeoxIT and ProGold spray cans. I have no real reference for how well 5% works versus 100%. However... They don't last long at all. I would use the smallest spray on a Q-Tip and use that to wipe down the contacts. It was gone in no time. When I get around to it, I'm just going to get on the caig.com web site and buy either the pen or a little bottle of the ProGold 100%. The DeoxIT isn't really needed, IMHO, for us since our contacts usually aren't all that oxidized to begin with. So I'm just interested in the ProGold and some little foam swabs from Digikey.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
You can also order directly from CAIG laboratories. www.caig.com or www.deoxit.com will get you to their website. I ordered several items from them, to include a Technicians Survival Kit. It comes with sprays, pens, wipes swabs and brushes. You might also ask for any samples that might be available. There are also other kits with differing contents available on the website as well. I've used the Deoxit products on flashlights, data cables and other electronics. It does clean up the contacts well and allow connectors to slide in easier.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I asked this question a while ago, and also bought the cans first....and realized I wasted my money, and went back to Radio Shack and bought the pens.

The spray is VERY hard to control in terms of precise direction....and they run out VERY FAST....plus as you said...a very weak solution.

In contrast I have had a set of the pens for at least 8 months, and have used the ProGOld at least 100 times, coating FiveMega various battery contacts, ends of NiMH, Li batteries, outside of his battery holders, bipin bulb holders, tail cap & spring.

I'm shocked the ProGold pen has not run out yet...but the best thing is you can have precise control of application. It is a hard porous tip, much firmer and not quite as big as the large Sharpie markers. It is a helluva deal.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a bunch of threads on this stuff, and can be continued in those threads to keep the info. organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.