Are your Christmas lights still up? Are they lit at night?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that I dislike about the "retail" side of Christmas is that the retail industry wants to end Christmas at 12:01 am Dec 26th.

In my opinion, they do this so that we will "miss" the Christmas feeling, and when they start bringing out the Christmas stuff right after July 4th, we will grab it up, because we miss the Spirit of Christmas.

As a youth, my family kept the Christmas Decorations up until "Little Christmas", sometime in January (I forget the date) when supposedly the Eastern Orthordox Church celebrated Christmas.

Catholic and Episcopal Churches (maybe more, I do not know for sure), call this time after Christmas the "Season of Christmas".

I am the only one in the Neighborhood with lights still up.

So, what is your Christmas Light status?

Greta

Flashaholic
Budd... I still have my lights up outside but I stopped turning them on last week. I just haven't had time to take them down yet.

Our family tradition has always been that everything stays up until January 6th. We called it the Russian New Year. My gramma was Russian.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by BuddTX:
One thing that I dislike about the "retail" side of Christmas is that the retail industry wants to end Christmas at 12:01 am Dec 26th.

In So, what is your Christmas Light status?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'v been away from home for the last 3 months so Inever got to put up a tree or lights this season
frown.gif
but I usually get them up just after Thanksgiving and take them down just after New Year's day.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Took down the lights in my room on new-years. Took down the rest yesterday.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The tree is only up for such a short period of the year...we like to "look" at it into January. It will come down this weekend. Outside lights are off "into" the first week of the New Year...(4 strings of "Forever Bright" LED lights + 2 strings of "minis")
fcceabb2.jpg

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine went off on January 6th too, one little last showing till 6PM. Today and yesterday, I pulled all of them down and most are packed away now, though some aspects will need some thought as to where thery`ll go, as they just weren`t here to store last year!

In the UK, millions of years ago (OK maybe a hundred) the tradition was not to put your tree up until the 24th, and take it down again on the 6th. These days, things start appearing in peoples homes usually around the first week of December, with the odd one at the end of November and most popping up during the middle of the month. Still see some places that don`t start glowing until the weekend before or later. But not too many places here glow at all, which is a shame. I`m trying to change that with my large displays, but the neighbors don`t seem keen to join in just yet.
rolleyes.gif

Mine went on last year on Dec 6th. I still see the end of the season as Jan 6th but this year, a lot dissapeared the weekend before. Usually most people see the New Year through, but depending on when the 6th falls, a lot will take their decorations down early because of work commitments and all. Apparently it`s bad luck to leave the tree up past the 6th!

Craig - fantastic to see you back. Dare I say Welcome Home!
grin.gif
What you should do now is stick a load of lights up for a month starting from as soon as you can, to make up for not being able to do it at the proper time. I know I would
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a tree like that you`re quite right to leave it up for so long! Must take all day decorating that one - looks fantastic!
grin.gif

Nice to see the old C7s still in use!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was very small, Santa came to my house on Christmas Day. That meant that on Christmas eve, there were NO lights or a Tree or any decorations or anything!

I woke up Christmas Morning to a FESTIVAL in my house! A beautiful Tree, decorations, and a HUGE amount of presents (Always hated getting the square "clothing" boxes however!

My Parents told me later that they were very tired on Christmas Morning!

After Several years, a mysterous box appeared in the living room in December, with a note that Santa was busy, and needed help decorating, and said that he dropped this box off to help us help him!

rlhess

Enlightened
We have 8 single candles in our windows and a tree with white mini lights in the center of our living room picture window.

Friday (1/10) was the last night we had them on. Most of the stuff came down today and will be packed away Sunday.

Cheers,

Richard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Sigman - I really dig the tree too.
smile.gif

Lots and lots of really big lights, hardly any ornaments by comparison. That's how a tree should look.
grin.gif

I just got a bunch of LED Christmas lights - wonder where I'll hang them.
grin.gif