Coffeemaker-Lantern

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all:)

Today I finished the project, I had in mind since I swaped the LuxV-star at my Nuwai.

What should I do with this blueish, not extreme bright VYAT-star?

I took a candle-lantern and the bottom of a coffeemaker(as batt-host) and created a "nice" lantern.:grin2:

The specs:

LuxV:VYAT-star
Custom-heatsink
Direct-driven (slightly underdriven)
4xD-cell Alkalines in cheap plastic holders
20 Ampere switch for car applications
Costs: nothing, since the stuff was laying around:whistle:

But here the pics, more worth than 1000 words:grin2::

Heatsink.jpg

Solderwork.jpg

Lantern.jpg

Pics of the "Beamshot" I'll make tonight at darkness:lolsign:.

I hope you had fun.

Very best regards

______
Tom:wave:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wooaha... great mod!... :clap: ... :twothumbs ... all that's missing is the keyring... :crackup: ... :lolsign:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW why do you have such beautiful weather there? It's raining all the time here… :rant:

pyro

Enlightened
Did you already test that monster?
I think you have slight design error here:
The LED is pointing upwards, blinding everybdy who looks at the light,
but no light hits the ground/table.
IMO the LED belongs on the upper part of the lantern.

Illum

Flashaholic
pyro said:
Did you already test that monster?
I think you have slight design error here:
The LED is pointing upwards, blinding everybdy who looks at the light,
but no light hits the ground/table.
IMO the LED belongs on the upper part of the lantern.

within that dome theres plenty of room to add an additional frosted globe to diffuse the light...this reminds me of another hideous creation: the hedgehog
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129211

come to think of it...a light with the led facing up sounds more like a aircraft beacon than a lantern:laughing:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much guys for the great comments:)

@ pyro, I thought about, but I don't want it as a reading lantern, more outside the house by sitting with friends, talking.........and place the light in the near of plants, so the beam is more comfortable. Besides that, the Led isn't really bright. The reason could be the age of the new batts, about 5years, measuring 6.3 Volts without load.

When I feel the need for more light at the bottom, I discovered a very nice stainless steel pot-cover in the kitchen of my wife.........so please:sssh:, it could be a nice reflector at the top of the lantern:lolsign:.

@Freddy, BTW the weather: I wished it would rain here, it's very dry and the nature needs water:candle:

Here is the beamshot:

Beamshot.jpg

Very best regards

______
Tom:wave:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
I use that style coffee maker every morning. simple, easy, excellent java.

I can tell you the story, why my wife allowed me this coffee-maker to mod:).

She bought it about 6 weeks ago, at a raffle for our animal-protection-association. We never used it. Last week we got a call of a friend. He had to cancel a meeting with us because his coffee-maker (exactly this kind, it's very common here in Spain) exploded:ohgeez:. The coffee was everywhere in the whole kitchen. The bang was that loud, he thought a big gas-bottle (also common here) was exploded. Thanks god nobody was hurt due to nobody was in the kitchen during this explosion.:candle:

My wife said to me, I'll never use this coffee-maker and I said:"yes, you're right" and thought by myself.......I surely can use it for a crazy idea:whistle:.

So if you're in luck, tell my experiences your lady and perhaps you'll have a few nice parts to mod.:lolsign:

BTW mod ideas: inside is a sieve with a pipe, it fits perfect a garden-hose for a nice camping shower:grin2:.

Best regards

____
Tom