Low Light Tactical

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello folks, I posted this on tacticalforums, but would definitely like the opinions of the good folks here. The tie-in is that I'm most interested in home defense, and I'm convinced that means low-light. That's the reason I bought an M2, M4, and Tigerlight in the first place! Any thoughts on pros and cons of various "tactical" lights gratefully appreciated. In addition ...

I am looking for a recommendation for a school that teaches realistic, low-light home defense firearms tactics and skills. I am reasonably well-grounded in fundamental handgun skills, having taken several defensive handgun classes from reputable instructors, and having shot competitively (PPC and Tyro). Some recent events have convinced me I haven't done due-diligence on developing home defense tactics and skills, particularly in low-light. I'm hoping to get recommendations for a good school that teaches this course.

Requirement:
- Defensive firarms class that teaches tactics (not just shooting skills), including home defense and low-light scenarios.

Preferences: (these are preferences only, meant to help me decide if two schools seem evenly matched. Please do not hesitate to recommend a school that doesn't meet the following)
- West coast location
- Instructor with real-world experience. I notice many instructors have taken a lot of great courses, but haven't actually used them in their profession (as a member of a tactical entry team, or whatever). While I realize that such an instructor may still have a lot to offer, I'd prefer an instructor with real-life experience in low-light searching, etc.
- Force-on-force training: I've found that for myself, I learn martial skills best when force-on-force is an important part of the class. I'd like a class that has this as part of the curriculum. I realize that for many schools, this may be part of an "advanced" class, and I'll have to take a prerequisite first.

Thank you very much for any recommendations.

Again, any feedback, recommendations, or warnings gratefully appreciated.

Cato

Newly Enlightened
CheckInsights Training Centre in Washington, or Gabe Suarez , especially this course:

May 20 - Combative Shooting and CQB Skills (Includes a Low Light Session) - Take your pistol shooting skills to the next level with combative application of marksmanship skills, CQB techniques, moving while shooting, and more. Cost is $150
Note: Free Evening Session on Reduced Light Tactics (How to Fight in the dark)

Cato

Newly Enlightened
I have trained with Options for Personal Security (Andy Stanford/James Yeager) and Personal Defense Training (David Blinder) and both speak very highly of Insights.John Holschen and Greg Hamilton seem to have an enormous influence on any progress in defensive tactics. BTW, here is a training & tactics section which may interest you. Some fairly prestigious trainers participate there. I am sure you already know about him and I would recommend Ken Good, but he seems to focus mainly on non-civilian tactics. But his articles are worth reading anyway.

Sincerely

Cato

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Cato. Ken is the guy I'd most like to train with when it comes to low-light tactics, but so far he's strictly LEO/military. I do read everything from him I can get my hands on, just wish I could see the principles in action.

Joe