Did I shorten my Nuwai Q3 life?

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Q3 accidentally turned on in my pocket other day, was probably on for like 25 minutes. I felt in get warm in and when I took it out it was like red hot, couldn't touch it. It has been working fine for couple weeks now. What kind of damage happens when they overheat, light output goes down, life shortened to 1000 hour or so? Do I not have too much to worry since it has been ok now? Even though P1D CE is replacing it, have a weak spot for it. Thanks

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a soft spot for my Q3s. I still find them very attractive and well designed and made and fit in my hand well. Considering how easy it is to swap the star on Q3s, I wouldn't worry too much about the LED. Drive the bajeezers out of it and if it craps out (which probably won't happen for 10+ years anyways), replace it with the latest and greatest like a Cree at the moment.

kwando

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
I also have a soft spot for my Q3s. I still find them very attractive and well designed and made and fit in my hand well. Considering how easy it is to swap the star on Q3s, I wouldn't worry too much about the LED. Drive the bajeezers out of it and if it craps out (which probably won't happen for 10+ years anyways), replace it with the latest and greatest like a Cree at the moment.

how much is involved in swapping out the star on it??? i also want a new tailcap on mine, two stage FTW

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
kwando - there's how-to's to open a Q3 if you search. I suck at searches, but you can probably find it. For a condensed version...

1. Put strap wrench around body of light (preferably under the clip to not damage it, or remove the clip first) and another strap wrench around head of light. Twist in opposite directions (remember, lefty loosie).
2. Remove head. You'll see a silver retaining ring with 2 notices. Use a snap plier or long nose or needle nose plier to remove retaining ring.
3. Pull out or drop out (if upsidedown) the whole LED + spacer ring + driver assembly. Take note there's a small gold ring underneath the driver board, don't lose it!
4. De-solder the 2 leads on the Lux Star.
5. Solder new Star (Lux or Cree, whatever you like) to the appropriate red (positive, anode) and black (negative, cathode) solder pads on the Star.
6. Re-assemble and you're done.
7. Click - damn, it's brighter!

For the 2-stage clicky, search for milkyspit and "pimped out Q3". He has a how-to with pics. I tried mine, but did a bad solder job (crappy soldering iron with super dirty crudded up tip!) and it doesn't work that great. You just need a small chip or axial resistor of the value you like (you might want to buy a few values to see what you like most) and solder on a couple of pads on the board that's in the tailcap. A bit harder job, but not too bad if you have a clean soldering iron (not like mine which is black and won't transfer heat efficiently until it melts the board).

HTH.