Color Laser--Multi-Function?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I posted on the Cafe when I was considering a B+W and I went with the Samsung SCX-4100. I have been happy with it overall but I'm printing more labels and cardstock than I thought I would. The paper path on this printer is a bottom to top 'S' or a hand-held pass-through that usually eats more paper than not :rant: . So I'm considering a new laser printer for my shop and I thought I'd post for input. I don't do a lot of color printing but I'm sure I would if I had a Color Laser :)
So the points for me are:
a scanner/copier function
A good paper path for heavy paper printing
Decent photo quality
Everything I've looked at has a separate Black cartridge. That would be a need as I will do more B+W.
Lower cost and high quality of course :D
Any input is welcome. Even saying wait, or stick with B+W.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm not aware of any color laser multifunction. However, I did recently purchase a Samsung CL-510 color laser and I'm very happy with it so far. Text is sharp, graphics and photos are somewhat better than on my Deskjet 940C (granted, this five year old technology so modern inkjets might do better than the Samsung). Best of all, no more water soluble ink or messy cartridge refilling. Toner will eventually run out, but for about $150 I can get enough on eBay to last me maybe 20,000 pages. Cartridges are chipped, meaning that they stop working at 2000 pages whether they have remaining toner or not, but there are several workarounds for this. Price came to a little over $200 after sales tax and a $70 rebate. This is the main reason I bought it. With color lasers getting this affordable, it's only a matter of time before a color laser multifunction comes out.

So my advice to you is either buy a color laser printer now if you want color laser printing but can live without scanner or fax. If not, then wait a bit. Probably in a year or so we'll have color laser multifunctions.