Mag charger or scorpion 500?

Gitlaa

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone I know that you are the flashlight experts, and there is no better place to find help one a flashlight. So I came to you. Which do you think is a better recharable, bright, and reletavly cheap light?

supes

Enlightened
I can finally say I've got both lights to compare for someone who is making a decision. :D

Anyways, imho it depends on what your going to use it for. If your going to use it for important things and need it to be reliable, durable, and light everytime, you cannot go wrong with the MC. The bulb is pretty reliable although I use a WA 1160 one in mine because the stock blew. It's a little bigger then I want but it's SOLID. Many LEOs and security people will give you the :thumpsup: for this light.

If your just using it to play around in the house or occasionaly light up the backyard, then the R500 is fine. I did use the R500 in a camping trip where it was pouring rain and thundering all night. It didn't get submersed in water but it was pretty close and experienced a lot of mud. It still worked as usual. But I'm skeptical about the cheap battery pack and the bulb. I still don't know if I would rely on this light yet. Time will only tell for me. Haven't had a bad thing go wrong yet but I alway have another powerful incandesant to back it up.

BTW, to my eyes, the R500 is brighter and the beam is smoother(due to the reflector) then the MC(this light is no slouch), although it doesn't have the adjustable beam like the MC. I do like the sizing of the R500 better but the MC has many different options for brighter and better options. Basically to me its, proven fighter vs unknown newcomer.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second Supes summary. I give it a thumbsup and have used them for a "thumpsup" as he puts it in place of a hammer or instrument of persuasion. I have a mag charger that I got when they first came out. I remember that to be about 27 years ago, maybe less if that is the case, but when the dealers first got them for sure. It has out lived a few battery packs, a lot of bulbs and one charging cradle. I have modded it and run various bulbs in it but it looks like an old war horse, tuff product, proven. I am looking at an UltraFire wf500 clone, does not have the charging port of the Scorpions; I wonder about the ruggedness of the port. I think I can mod these to a brighter light, I am still considering how to, however. I have dropped my MC off of a two story roof. Damage was a burned out bulb. I do not want to try the drop test with the UF. The MC has seen service in mud, snow, feezing temps and hot desert use. It has proven weather tight. The UF and Scorpion reflector guarantees a smooth beam but you can do that with a MC by frosting the bulb. I have run OEM bulbs, wa01160 and after upgrading circuitry and battery packs wa01111 and phillips 5761. I do not have a UFwf500 with me at the moment to throw against stock MCs around me here at this moment but I think Supes can do that and I think he will confirm the MC focusable reflector is deep enough it puts some throw on it that may out perform the Scorpion. The Scorpion should be 325 Torch-Lumens (500 bulb-L) and the MC OEM at 200 Torch-lumens if I remember correctly so if the MC has a tighter spot I could see it being better at a distance. Guess we need a report to see.
Thanks for the invitation to chat.
NL

Last edited:

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
I have both also. Magcharger for LEO type work and being reliable. Spare bulb in tailcap. I like the 500 for size and L-Ion battery but it would be a back-up.
Best solution, get both. Cheap insurance if you ran the Magcharger down and didn't have time to re-charge.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have superlatives to state about the M&gCh#rgr. An excellent robust light that will not let you down. Mine is 20+ years old and seen all types of abuse. I will give up a bit of portability to gain the reliability of this light.