Taking apart new style KL3

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Would anyone be able to tell me if they have been able to remove the body side portion of the new style KL3 head? I've got the bezel off no problem, did not even have to heat it up, just used a couple of rubber strap wrenches and applied some muscle. The body side looks kinda thin and after heating up to approx 250F, it did not come loose with the strap wrenches. I must say I did not apply a lot of force as I was not wanting to bend that thin portion that meets the body if the head was to be screwed down...Maybe that's an idea, install on a body then heat and strap wrench.

Anyway, if anyone has a clue please let me borrow it for a few minutes!

Thanks Largely.

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
I use a blow torch to get in to the old and new gen KL3s, remove the optic first with the bezel ring off. You need a combination of the following I have found heat proof gloves / vice with protection / strap wrench / soft face connector pliers. Take care it needs to be hot.

DCarlton

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Thanks DC...

I got the bezel/optic out no problem. No heat needed either, just put two strap wrenches on and put my arms to work. I tried heating the other side with a heat gun and my strap wrenches rubber just kept sliding off. I could smell the rubber melting a little too. I'm freezing it right now and heating it up as quickly as I can hoping to make the adhesive brittle and maybe loose some of it's strength. When I get access to a torch I'll try that and maybe some automotive v-ribbed belts to replace the rubber in my strap wrenches...