Streamlight Scorpion help!

Heck

Enlightened
A few days ago I was going to get a Surefire 6P. However, when I finally was ready, since I live in Canada, brokerage and customs fees popped out, and add that all together, a Surefire 6P was going to cost me close to $100 US in total. Now I'm considering a Streamlight Scorpion as it is way significantly cheaper. What I would like to know however... is how great exactly is the Scorpion compared to the 6P? I've done searches here and read too many varied explanations and responses. My main concern is the brightness and beam quality, not the physical features of the Scorpion. If it's very close match to the Scorpion I'll just get that. Here is what I need my flashlight for. I do safety patrol for my university, I encounter alley ways, downtown streets, building side no luminated areas, dumpsters etc. So basically I need short bursts of light which I know already the scorpion and 6p is good for. But I also need some long throw as I light up down alley ways from the entrance of them. Will the Scorpion do the job for me? is it close enough to the 6P? and at about $30, more than half of the now raised prices of Surefire, is it definately more worth it for a Streamlight Scorpion? Sorry for the long post, I need the information quickly as the issued 4C Maglite light I'm using now on my patrols I don't find adequate enough, in terms of it being too bulky and hopefully the Scoprion will be just as bright or brighter. Thanks in advance people.

ET

Newly Enlightened
I don't know a damn thing about the Scorpion but if you're looking for Surefires in Canada try these...

www.mdcharlton.ca Terry Ebare was the guy in Mississauga that I dealt with and he's top-notch. He even sent me a replacement bulb when the first one sent to me went missing. However, last I heard, MD Charlton was clearing out the last of their Surefires.

www.proedgeknives.com Try emailing Murray Haday of Niagara Falls. He has different stock at different times.

Murray Haday
ProEdge Knives
17-7000 McLeod Rd. #329
Niagara Falls, ON. L2G 7K3
Tel: 905 328 8212
[email protected]

http://rnicholls.hst2.com I've dropped by R Nicholls in Toronto once but prices seemed high.

There's a place in Calgary called 911 Supply that I've heard stocks Surefires. Don't know anything about them though.

911 Supply
4327-A Manhatten Road SE
Calgary AB T2G 4B1
(403) 287-1911

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a steamlight scorpion and it is a great light. It is not built to the same quality standards as a surefire but the scorpion is still very well made. I really like the rubber grip & the on/off switch although it does seem kind of cheap. And as far as brightness & beam quality goes, the P60 does not match up to the scorpion set at proper focus. It produces a perfect round and very white beam (whiter than my M2's P60 & P61 on new batteries) and can be focused to flood when necessary. And to top it all the Scorpion comes with a spare bulb and holds it inside the LA so it is always with you. Replacement bulbs are only $4.00 instead of $20.00. Consider this when you think about surefire's position on its lamp assemblies that are not shock isolated, if you drop your 6P from any distance the bulb may fail! Same with the Scorpion but your not out much $$.

I still love my M2 but the scorpion gives Surefire two cell lights a run for their money. (In terms of brightness)
So if money is an issue (as you said it certainly is) If I were in your position I would get the scorpion first, save more money, then get a Surefire!
wink.gif

Heck

Enlightened
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. Something caught my eye, I never really thought about the Surefire Nitrolon G2. I think it would be a good choice, but I also heard about a G2Z coming out very soon. Does anyone know about the G2Z and it's pricing?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herky:
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. Something caught my eye, I never really thought about the Surefire Nitrolon G2. I think it would be a good choice, but I also heard about a G2Z coming out very soon. Does anyone know about the G2Z and it's pricing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think the G2Z would only be about $5~$10 higher because of the lanyard. Your right though I forgot about the G2.
tongue.gif

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
If patrolling up and down the alley is what u want, perhaps you would need a 12 V rechargeable spot light in addition to your scorpion.

Heck

Enlightened
Okay, I said screw it and just bought a Surefire Nitrolon G2, so this will be my first Surefire, as I heard it is far from the last to come heh....and factoring in all my customs and brokerage and shipping, i'm saving a bundle, a real big bundel too....now I got to wait until like Friday to get it, not too bad.

Spork

Enlightened
if your going to use this light a lot and worried about availability of bulbs why not just get a tec40. pr base, and 4aa which should be as bright as your 4 cell mag. you could do many things with it, add rechargeables and experiment with different bulbs. Everyone says Surefire lamps are very durable so even if your paying twice the cost compared to a bulb for another light it could possibly be cheaper in the long run if your rough on your light. I just received my e2 so I can't back anything up on that yet. or you could always get a really bright led light and forget about bulbs
cool.gif

bigcozy

Enlightened
I traded off my Scorpion and I regret it, I will get another one. I also was going to buy a G2 and then get the recharge conversion kit (KR1?). I ended up buying the 8NX because I figured with the money I saved on batteries, I came out ahead and had a stronger light. I don't think you can go wrong with a G2, but I feel the scorpion is on par with it.

Oh yeah, you can't go wrong with Murray at Proedge. Bought a couple of Reeve knives from him, great guy.

Big Cozy

Surefire E1
Streamlight Stinger
Surefire 8NX
Pelican L1
PT Quest
PT photon
Inova Green photon

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Sean, whiter than the SF ?
And the beam quality is on a par with SF's, no flaws or shadings ?

When you say set it at proper focus, what do you mean by that, is there a single optimum focusing point - what beam do you get at that point ?
Or will it focus with a good beam at any point, spot to flood ?

lightlover

Ps - I have one on order.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's sad but even swapping batteries my scorpion is whiter. I never thought my P60 & P61s looked yellow but next to the scorpion they look slightly yellow, especially around the edge of the center hotspot.

Proper focus just means adjusting until I get the smallest & most round beam possible, at this point the hotspot is perfectly round & white, unlike my P60. It honestly seems slightly brighter than the P60, but it might just be because of how white & round the light is, were as the P60 is slightly oval.

I have a picture HERE I took of the P61 & scorpion beam comparison, they both look yellowish due to my camera, but it shows the P61 has a slightly larger hotspot.
Remember this is a P61!
shocked.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I hate the scorpion now that I have SFs. It's dimmer than the P60 (the scorpion is noticibly yellower)the P61 is superbly brighter, beam quality sucks and the rubber around the body makes it feel cheap (it moves around). The scorpion is a nice flashlight if you've never owned anything better or you don't want to spend more than $30 for a light.

G2 is much better. In fact I'll prove how much I don't like the scorpion: the first person to e-mail me the last word on my comparison page gets my scorpion for free. [email protected]

I'll put comparison pics up in about an hour
web page

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
I hate the scorpion now that I have SFs. It's dimmer than the P60 (the scorpion is noticibly yellower)the P61 is superbly brighter, beam quality sucks and the rubber around the body makes it feel cheap (it moves around). The scorpion is a nice flashlight if you've never owned anything better or you don't want to spend more than $30 for a light.

G2 is much better. In fact I'll prove how much I don't like the scorpion: the first person to e-mail me the last word on my comparison page gets my scorpion for free. [email protected]

I'll put comparison pics up in about an hour
web page
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't you use a P60 for comparison instead of the P61? P61 would naturally be whiter and brighter, since it's running 120 lumens. Your expensive batteries are only good for 20 minutes too.

I've got a light that puts your P61 to shame, when I can find the bulbs. Of course it's only for an instant too. It's called a flashbulb.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I would have but the post ahead of mine said the scorpion was brighter and whiter than both P60 and P61. I'll post pics in a few with the P60 as well.

Empath: I wasn't saying that SFs are the best lights out there, just that it's better than the scorpion in my opinion if you factor out the cost. Sorry if I came across wrong.

The Scorpion is spoken for already! Someone e-mailed me with the correct answer. It will ship tomorrow...congrats to the winner. Don't know if you want to be revealed here.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
Empath: I wasn't saying that SFs are the best lights out there, just that it's better than the scorpion in my opinion if you factor out the cost. Sorry if I came across wrong.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't come across wrong, but it did seem emotional. Emotions draw my interest.
wink.gif

Innovation, attention to detail, construction, and precision in functionality are something most CPFers appreciate. The philosophies of Surefire and Streamlight are not perfectly matched in that regard. Surefire will attract us due to their philosophy. They'll produce as near perfect product as possible with little regard to cost, since they know some out there will pay the extra premium for perfection. Streamlight wants to compromise in order to get the mass market, weighing cost against quality, and as a result make a product that's "good enough" to sell to the masses.

Philosophies in business and production are interesting. Streamlight's attention to detail may not be as extreme as Surefire's, but considering the philosophies that must be involved with the Brinkmanns, Rayovacs, Eveready, Dorcy and such, we can still find a greater emotion for Streamlight other than "hate".
smile.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I must confess that the scorpion is the only Streamlight I have ever owned. I've always used the magcharger and the scorpion as backup until I found SF lights. I have many lights just to collect them from SF to ARC to PT etc, don't know why I've never bought streamlight...weird... never really thought about that...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate the scorpion now that I have SFs. It's dimmer than the P60 (the scorpion is noticibly yellower)the P61 is superbly brighter, beam quality sucks and the rubber around the body makes it feel cheap (it moves around).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your scorpion beam is yellow then your batteries must be dead!
smile.gif
Because The P60 can't touch my scorpion! I don't know why but it is whiter (I never said brighter than the P61) than my P60 & P 61. At first they are about equal but after 3~5 minutes the scorpion is very noticeably whiter! I have no reason to make this up.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I would have but the post ahead of mine said the scorpion was brighter and whiter than both P60 and P61.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can show me were I said this I'll give you my M2!

Sheesh, you say one thing about Surefire and the Flashaholics start coming out of the woodwork! Armed with P61's
tongue.gif
grin.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
I just got a steamlight scorpion and it is a great light. It is not built to the same quality standards as a surefire but the scorpion is still very well made. I really like the rubber grip & the on/off switch although it does seem kind of cheap. And as far as brightness & beam quality goes, the P60 does not match up to the scorpion set at proper focus. It produces a perfect round and very white beam (whiter than my M2's P60 & P61 on new batteries) and can be focused to flood when necessary. And to top it all the Scorpion comes with a spare bulb and holds it inside the LA so it is always with you. Replacement bulbs are only $4.00 instead of $20.00. Consider this when you think about surefire's position on its lamp assemblies that are not shock isolated, if you drop your 6P from any distance the bulb may fail! Same with the Scorpion but your not out much $$.

I still love my M2 but the scorpion gives Surefire two cell lights a run for their money. (In terms of brightness)
So if money is an issue (as you said it certainly is) If I were in your position I would get the scorpion first, save more money, then get a Surefire!
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you meant the scorpion is brighter than the P60 and whiter than both P60/P61? I apologize for misunderstanding and retract my statement.

When I did the comparison, I popped in new sets of DL123 batteries on bot the M2 and the Scorpion. The M2 has always been brighter and whiter than my scorpion with both P60 and P61. I might have gotten a bum Scorpion bulb or you might have gotten bum SF bulbs. Who knows.

In any event, I just posted my findings as you did as well obviously they are different. It seems we both have the same passion for we own the same torches
smile.gif