Care and feeding of a Nevtek FL3V?

rapidoxidationman

Newly Enlightened
I just got lucky enough to acquire aforementioned fluorescent light. Brighter than a carbide, and I won't burn my rope. Anybody have experience with one of these? Any Do/Don't do's that I need to be aware of? So far it seems to like Duracell D cells best, but I'm thinking a big Li-Ion rechargeable belt pack seems like it'd be a good farkle for it.

As a stress test I left it outside for a bit (it is -20F right now) and it started right up. Me like.:bow:

ROM

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
rapidoxidationman said:
Any Do/Don't do's that I need to be aware of?
Some 9V Batteries are not strong enough to start it. Thats the only one I remember.
Did you contact Nevin?

I doubt if the light could take 4V input....But I might have a look though my data.

And it depends very much with which carbide light you compare it .-)

The (in most parts of the world) usual ceiling burner puts out more light (with the well known drawbacks).

Last edited:

rapidoxidationman

Newly Enlightened
I did some research on which light Santa was going to get me for Christmas: the nevtek won. I contacted Nevin on suggestions on where to look for one and much to my undeserved luck he was able to scrounge enough parts to build me one. It doesn't like Energizers without using some tinfoil for shims in the battery case, but I stuffed it with Duracells and have had no battery related problems since. I may contact Nevin and ask for advice on a rechargeable, 3V, belt mounted pack but I kinda already promised him I wouldn't bug him about after the sale support. After all, he did stop production of the light years ago. I was really impressed he made me one...
ROM

Latest posts