Creed Mother(big Q3) direct drive L-ion:

PaulB

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for Cree+Q3 reflector = NICE BEAM !

P4 WC Cree, direct drive with 17670 draws 950mA(custom heatsink). It puts all my Lux IIIs to shame.

I used to think my Luxeon lights were bright(and they WERE, RIGHT ???).

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was JUST preparing to put a Cree in my Big Q3 last night! Doing measurements and fit checks. I did have a UX1K ready to put in until I got a few XR-E P4 stars this week. I plan to use the stock 2 ohm resistor though with 2 CR123's or 3.0V regulated RCR123's.
Did you just swap in the star with the unmodified reflector? I measured the height of the Lux3 in it from the bottom of the star to the base of the dome and compared to the same measurement on the Cree: 3.8 to 3.9mm. Perfect, so it should be a direct drop-in.

Next, I may want to put a higher ohm resistor in the tail switch to bring the low back down where it was. Should change the run-time from 10 to 20 hours on low.

PaulB

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat, I cut off the lip on the base of the reflector so the silver metal ring on the Cree will go up into the reflector also.

Here are some good pictures of the cut-down reflector:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146880

I do not think it will focus without doing this. I can't even remember if I tried it before cutting the reflector. I do not think I did. I had read other posts and just followed their lead(thanks CPF !)When you cut/sand/whatever the lip off, it also opens the diameter enough to fit the silver ring.

I will not use CR123 in this light. Mine has a resistor in the tailcap for low-beam and no resistor at all for high-beam.

Make sure you put something non-conductive between the top of the Cree and the reflector or it will short.

I had a TYOH Luxeon with 20mm IMS and DB1000 in it before the Cree.(heck of a combo to toss out eh !).
It is much brighter now.

Last edited: