solitaire 3mm led mod help

aljsk8

Enlightened
not sure if this is a electronics question so ill post here

im getting some 3mm leds for a solitaire mod - there not special leds just white 13,000 mcd

im thinking of puting a normal one in with the button cell mod on flashlight reviews

but then i want to mod some of the leds - the mj way.

basicly im looking for tips on how to do this

how much of the dome to cut off, what amout to re-dome, tips for cutting and polishing - ive only bought 5 leds and i would like to make sure all end up decent but wouldnt mind trying slightly different things on each

also will it be better than the stock soli?

will 4 button cells kill it?

hope you can help

Alex

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf Solitaire modification, that utilises the single AAA cell to power a half decent LED? I have two solitaires knocking about that are redundant, but in the spirit of recycling, I want to revive them.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
If you are looking for a drop-in upgrade, Lighthound.com and the Shoppe sell both 3mm and 5mm led upgrade modules for the solitaire.

HVAC

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried doing a CPF only Google search. I typed in soltaire mods and a bunch of them showed up.
Cheers,
HVAC

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Alex !

This is one of the easiest mod for driving a 3mm led.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/mods/solitaire2.htm

Nothing to cut, just a spring, a resistor and a small 12v battery. It fits perfectly in the reflector and is quite bright.

Tips: Don't buy energizer or duracell 12v battery, they are expensive. You can have 2 of them in almost any dollar store.

A great mod for a little Solitaire (but not as bright as the led upgrade sold by lightound but will will have the pleasure to do it yourself)

Enjoy !

aljsk8

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys

I was going for the 3mm led mod anyway

ive got myself a mn21 battery and ive ordered 5 more
so my questions are

without ruining the 5 leds ive got - whats the best way to go

do i install a stock led?
do i try to cut and polish the led?

im thinking if i can try to cut and polish it i can make sure the led goes in at a height which makes the die of the led at the same level as the old filement - so the focusing will be the same

am i way out here?

anyway thanks for the help - i might just try different things with the 5 leds

Alex