NASA goes metric

Brum

Newly Enlightened
Well, can't wait until the imperial system is completely fased-out. Metric is just easier to use and you dont have to think about values. Makes my mind cringe when I have to work on a USA-made machine we have (the only one), it works like a champ, but if wrenching is needed, cursing will arise!
Don't know how GM has this sorted out, since they make both cars for US and EU markets (assume its all metric..)?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I look at it this way, Metric vs. SAE doesn't bother me. I use both. They are just sizes. Besides, it gives me an excuse to buy more tools! :D

What bothers me is when people don't use the correct size Metric or SAE and then round off bolt heads. I bought a vehicle last month and after I got it home I crawled under it to look around. There was a socket stuck to the oil pan plug. It was wedged on pretty good, but I managed to wiggle it off. The bolt head was slightly rounded but otherwise fine. It was a 13mm socket on a 1/2" bolt. Whoever changed oil in it last was close, but they should have taken the time to find the correct socket. I cleaned up the socket and put it in my toolbox as a reminder to "always use the right tool for the job"

VWTim

Enlightened
RebelRAM said:
I look at it this way, Metric vs. SAE doesn't bother me. I use both. They are just sizes. Besides, it gives me an excuse to buy more tools! :D

What bothers me is when people don't use the correct size Metric or SAE and then round off bolt heads. I bought a vehicle last month and after I got it home I crawled under it to look around. There was a socket stuck to the oil pan plug. It was wedged on pretty good, but I managed to wiggle it off. The bolt head was slightly rounded but otherwise fine. It was a 13mm socket on a 1/2" bolt. Whoever changed oil in it last was close, but they should have taken the time to find the correct socket. I cleaned up the socket and put it in my toolbox as a reminder to "always use the right tool for the job"

It's not the tool factor, that's easy. It's doing calculations in the US system. Working in Metric in thermodynamics and kinematics is so much easier.

greenLED

Flashaholic
...'bout time!

I wouldn't have so much of a grudge with English system if the units were consistent. You've probably seen me say this before, but try dividing 7' 5 16/64" into 3 and see how far you get... :green:

VWTim

Enlightened
Now who knows the difference and conversion relating to lbm and lbf? Those 2 units there can give me a nervous breakdown.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
I think we should all revert to using 8 point sockets.

Most people don't even know what these are.
i agree, whenever i buy S&K tools the guy always asks "me would like 6 piont or 8 piont" and i always say 8piont as you can do so much more and it doesnt cost anymore to get the 8 piont so why not get it.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brum said:
Well, can't wait until the imperial system is completely fased-out. Metric is just easier to use and you dont have to think about values. Makes my mind cringe when I have to work on a USA-made machine we have (the only one), it works like a champ, but if wrenching is needed, cursing will arise!
Don't know how GM has this sorted out, since they make both cars for US and EU markets (assume its all metric..)?

You need both sets of tools to work on American stuff these days.
All of it has a bunch of outsourced stuff that is metric.

I hear you need at least 3 sets of tools to work on old English cars.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
greenLED said:
You've probably seen me say this before, but try dividing 7' 5 16/64" into 3 and see how far you get...
You can't do that in your head? Man, what's wrong with you? :laughing:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if only the rest of the country would follow. Sure there's some getting used to. After all, we're awfully attached to MPH, gallons of gas, being 6' tall, etc. But after the initial shock we'd finally be able to communicate with the rest of the world.

Xygen

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
Now if only the rest of the country would follow. Sure there's some getting used to. After all, we're awfully attached to MPH, gallons of gas, being 6' tall, etc. But after the initial shock we'd finally be able to communicate with the rest of the world.
So true. I think it's got something to do with pride and consuetude. But the advantages outweigh.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brum said:

GM has been all metric for many years. My 88 S10 was all metric, my fathers 72 was about half metric and half standard.
I don't even have a whole set of SAE wrenches, just a set of sockets and a couple adjustable wrenches. hmm, are my adjustable wrenches metric or standard ;)

The one bad thing about metric is when someone designed the bolt standards they made them too weak. You usually have to use a larger metric bolt than an SAE of the same hardness to prevent the threads from stripping out.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm said:
Welcome to the rest of the world.
Norm
Because the USA owns the moon it can govern small details like what measurement conventions will be used. Deciding that metrics is the rule is America's attempt to invite the "rest of the world" to our outpost and the final frontier.

Ya'll c'mon now. Take your shoes off. Sit a spell.

flag.jpg

VWTim

Enlightened
Eugene said:
The one bad thing about metric is when someone designed the bolt standards they made them too weak. You usually have to use a larger metric bolt than an SAE of the same hardness to prevent the threads from stripping out.

How do you figure? That's purely a function of thread pitch that you can get fine/course in either. Also you have to remember that a grade 8 US bolt isn't as grade 8 metric bolt.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So in days to come... Instead of Mile / Hour, will we see Km/Hour speeds on Cars... or Instead of Gallons... will see sale in Liters of Fuel? :D