My even LEANER flashlight inventory

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My inventory grew about 30% in the first 6-7 months of my CPF membership. Since then, especially in the last 6 months, it has decreased significantly.

This recent event seems counter culture to CPF where the opposite is the norm; inventories increasing two, three, sometimes tenfold after joining this merry band.

Excluding what I have provided to my wife for her carry and use, I'm down to six flashlights listed as follows:

Mag Instrument Magcharger
Surefire 9N
Surefire 12ZM
ASP Taclite
Inova X5
ARC AAA HA LE

I gave away the Surefire M2 and ARC LS last month to a someone that needed them more than I.

I am about as ready to buy more lights as the "newbie" posting '...Hi everyone, this is my first post. Glad to see someone else with the same affliction...' or words to that effect.

Will I buy more lights? I don't know. I certainly don't need anymore.

I'm not in a delimma about what to buy next.

I'm not in a quagmire that I need input from fellow 'holics.

This post is no diatribe of flashaholics(ism).

I've probably used more esoteric words in this post than any other.
wink.gif

But hey, we as a race have evolved past usage of grunts, groans, chortles, and various obscure onomatopoeias, haven't we?
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
...hhhmmmph!
grin.gif

No, this post was not patterned around an Andy Rooney 'piece.'
wink.gif

What is this leading to? Nothing in particular. That is why I posted it in this area.

NO, LED flashlights have not eclipsed those with incandescent bulbs. I won't see it in my lifetime. Nice try though. Please spare me the updates on LED technology. I won't understand it anyway.
yellowlaugh.gif

There is nothing (flashlight-wise) available this year that had not been available in some iteration last year. Unless the proverbial ARC AA-sized 1K Lumen, mile throwing LED lights that can be adjustable down to 6500 MCD [did I state the term correctly?
wink.gif
] is going to be offered for purchase to the general public by March, I probably won't buy another flashlight this year.

I'm losing interest in flashlights, guys (pardon the term and with ALL due respect, Sasha) and I don't see ANYTHING that will likely reinvigorate my interest.

Maglite will not change. They will continue to live by the adage "why hesitate, litigate!" Surefire will keep increasing their prices and retain the hex bezel. ARC will continue to underdrive (I have no idea what this means in flashlight technology. Dont bother to explain it to me.) their LEDs. Pelican may likely sell a bunch of their Lithium M6 model. ASP will not have a website this year also; if ever. The Strategos light(s) will likely be popular but will not eclipse the Surefire line. Tigelight will make greater inroads into the LE and military community. More "knckoffs" will emigrate from Taiwan and China. About five dozen CPF members will buy them. A dozen or so will post about them. Ten or so members will chime in with "I agree." A handful of Surefire-o-philes will denigrate them. Streamlight will continue to dominate LE sales. Upstart companies formed in response to demand from CPF members will struggle to stay in business beyond sales FROM here. The LED Museum will struggle to catch up and will eventually need help to maintain the reviews of the sheer numbers of new flashlight products. McGizmo will continue to make absolutely fascinating one-of-a-kind lights to tease the lumephiles of CPF. this_is_nascar will likely buy several dozen lights this year, too; only to offer them for sale to CPF mere days after finding dissatisfaction with them. Darrell will reach 6500 post by mid December. Al Windler will buy at least 15, if not more, Surefire flashlights by August. Lightlover will likely not post much again. (He'll respond to this one...maybe.) "Modders" will eventually build that 5 Watt LS light that will "outthrow" bulb-based products; only conceding that it will not have substantial advantage regarding runtime. Still, about 30 members will buy one.

and....I'll likely spawn a range war with this post and get kicked off CPF.
icon15.gif

I'll try to catch up with ya'll at SHOT '03. I'll be in Level IIIA (ask Dano what that is).

Regards,
KT

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Range war or not, it was entertaining reading, a change of pace. Some of us know what Level IIIA is
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only buy what I see an actual need for. Therefore my collection of lights is small and practical for me. I have a total of 16 lights.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Mr. Dot,

Your post was very amusing and I'm afraid that at the same time it was also very insightful.

I'm not losing interest in flashlights per se but I am growing increasingly weary of some the same things you've mentioned.

I don't have this need to "be there at the front" on every light. Instead I've decided to pick and choose discretly. Variations of the mundane don't catch my eye and I don't think that popping an LED into an incandescent body is enough to get me going.

I've mentioned in other posts that the flashight world needs to produce something that makes me giddy and light-headed when I hear of, play with and see how it works. So far, I'm still waiting although SS 2003 might help. I'd like something that is new and cutting edge that will make me do a double take and think about taking out a second mortgage. I've also toyed with idea of asking some of my CPFers who have machining skill to make me a light to my own specs. A commissioned light a la what Tiffany's does.

I'm interested in purchasing a light that is an example of excellence. The new Skunk light is exactly what I mean. No one besides them thought of it, put the idea on paper or turned the concept into a working light. That's an example what I'm mean by doing a double take. That's a light I can't wait to own if I'm given the opportunity.

Empath

Flashaholic
You'll need to build a bigger fire if you expect to burn your bridges, KT. Your interest in CPF for more than just the lights is apparent between each line.

Wish ya' luck though. Your words were interesting and well constructed, as usual.

I'm dealing with changes too. I just retired at the end of December after working nights for over a quarter century.

After living at night, I now find myself awake in the daytime with the sun shining. What am I going to do with all those flashlights.
icon3.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
".", well said. i think i'm beyond my buy everything cool and sell it later if i don't like it phase.....i think. it's down to a minimum atleast.
wink.gif

i hope you're wrong about the startups via demand here. it's never good to loose a valued cpf aware vendor.
frown.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
KT,

Sometimes I think I am hitting that point too. I think I have about 6 or so lights (high dollar ones) on my list of "want to buy" lights. After that, is it all over for me?

I don't think so. Relatively speaking, this is an exciting time for flashlights. When I first joined here, the only Luxeon Star was the ARC LS, and that was sold out, and it was very expensive. I had to wait months to even get the oppourtounity to purchase a ARC LS "second" for "only" 70.00!

Now several companies have the LS, the color production is getting better, we are seeing more competition from Nichia, (the Streamlight 3c, 10 LED is really nice), there are many more options for "home made" lights,, the 5 watt luxeon star is on the horison.

So, I do think there is excitement here.

But it is easy to become a "non-flashoholic" again (no disrespect intended!) Turn into the "I turn on the light, it works, and that's it".

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Termac:
for some reason your post reminds me of a fine brew "The Three Philosophers" by Ommegang Brewery in Coperstown, NY
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I read that and want a beer.

I also have slowed my flashlight buying. For the last month I have thought to myself that I have enough flashlights.

See you at SS '03.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by .:

I'm losing interest in flashlights, guys (pardon the term and with ALL due respect, Sasha) and I don't see ANYTHING that will likely reinvigorate my interest.

Regards,
KT
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wish I was at this point it would be a lot easier on my wallet.
smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
I have bought enough really good flashlights to understand what's possible and what isn't.

I have a good flashlight (or three) everywhere I need one, now.

I, too, am not interested in 10% more light here or there, as I've come to realize it doesn't make that much difference.

I think my "3P trio" certainly solves almost all my lighting needs.
7 hours LED with the KL3
1 hour of 105 lumens with a P90 LA
1 hour of reaching out and touching with
the SRTH Turbohead and N2 LA

Then, my EDC of Arc sLS, Arc AAA LE, and SF E2e rounds out the tools I use most often.

The rest of the lights are scattered around the house and are for quick grab/special purpose. The last power failure of a day proved that I have enough lights, of the right kind, to solve that problem.

I've been off collecting a few old Tektronix oscilloscopes lately, but how many scopes do you need, including backup? ( http://www.richardhess.com/be/test_eq.htm ) and lots of tape recorders ( http://www.richardhess.com/tape/apr.jpg shows one )

Cheers,

Richard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the fire burning low
only ashes remaining
of what once was
brighter as dragon's fire

and out of the darkness
spoke a voice
with infinite sadness
of another end to come

even if you'd try to go on
as if nothing happened
the hollowness of the attempt
would eventually strike you down

so when you first
think of what went wrong
the words of good-bye
have long been said

in the back of your head
in silence

situations like this one, ".", always make me weep. parting is never easy, yet it has to be done one time or another. so that your fire will burn again even brighter, fueled by another desire maybe even more consuming than "light".

Nevertheless I think that those obsessed with something are the ones that change the universe, because only they can unleash all the power mankind can provide. It is a blessing rather than a curse to be consumed by visions and dream-like plans, it can make the otherwise hopeless human life a little bit more fullfilled. I pity those who do not have any kind of passion in their hearts, or shall I say fire in their eyes?

sorry for the melancholy in this post, but this thread hit deeply.

bernhard

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
bernhard,

I don't scorn those who wish to delve; it simply doesn't inspire passion in me like it does others. I don't think you have to embrace all facets of flashlightism to be considered an afficionado.

I appreciate examples of excellence and those who produce them. Keep inventing and tinkering and I'll always be there to see what's been done.

The lights that I'd like to see haven't been created, I don't have the mechanical ability to make them myself and so I'll sit by waiting.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
this was not meant to inspire passion.
it is just a glimpse of the abyss and of the meaningless life in which we struggle I always have in situations like "." is describing. sorry if should have been misplaced, but I just had to write it.

and besides all this metaphysical stuff I am still waiting for the ultimate light and will be the first to buy it with my last bucks!!
grin.gif

gleaming eyes, greedy face and angry wife. the typical CPF'ler.
smile.gif

bernhard

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
...IIIA with a trauma plate? Seriously, in life, some things must give, regardless of what those things are.

If a tool is used in the course of employment, one reaches a point in which a core set is used, optimized, and trusted; with no need for the latest and greatest. This also is created out of greater self confidence; the latest and greatest is superceded by greater personal skills, and increased reliance on these skills.

The hobbyist will continue to buy the latest and greatest, as that is the essence of a hobby; the collecting, using and modifying. Others just like to do it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm looking forward to that new Peli. M6, must be the hobbyist in me?

Good luck in the future, stop by and say hi, the door's open..

--dan

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WOW...Deeeep reading! I see myself in several different messages here, different phases of the flashaholic's obsession. (It's not just a "flashlight" obsession, it's a craving for "technology"!) I'm not in the "earliest" of phases, moved up a couple levels, but one does tend to look at all of the torches "collected" and wonder at times, "Why do I need all of these?".

Then one tends to start adding up just how much they cost, more than a little here and a little there...really adding up. But hey, gotta have a hobby and for now this one is mine. I'm sure it's kept me "out of trouble" somewhere else and hey, there have been some positive improvements with some safety and preparedness issues in my families lives. I know I've sure learned a lot!

There are a heck of a lot of GREAT folks here at the CPF, thankful to have met them and hope to enjoy a lot more to come! IT'S ALL GOOD!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
are you sure Wolfen?
fading gives you a longer "runtime", thus more chances to think and do things ... to make something happen. being around longer can be nice.
this is easily said, but when you are burnt out, you are f***** up ... and I can imagine better situations.
grin.gif
grin.gif

bernhard