to make a pp dispute or not. what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes you are covered by pp if you dont receive an item,if it is eligible,but what happens if you buy from a forum like this,and you are trying not to upset anyone.but in my situation i cannot afford to lose 420.oousd. what would you do.i keep reading its alright you are covered by pp but, if you claim, it affects the seller, thats who pp go to ,to resolve disputes,when it might be the postal service at fault. should we just put it down to expierience. or pursue a claim.i am not making any caims i just want to know what you would do.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
More information is needed. Was the package insured for full value? Does the seller have proof that the package was sent? Does the carrier have proof that the package was delivered?

BVH

Flashaholic
Don't file anything with PP until all of the above is taken into consideration and, if it is non-performance on the seller's part, don't file until you know you are getting no further satisfaction from the seller. Always settle at the lowest level possible. My $.02 worth.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cannot afford to lose it, then you should request insured shipping with tracking (EMS etc.). Filing a PP dispute would be highly unethical IMO, especially when you know the seller actually have sent the package.

I have lost packages (probably only 0.25% of my packages have gone missing), but what I have saved in shipping costs makes up for it. However, when I have had really expensive stuff sent to me then I have used EMS.

Sigbjoern

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not just the usual one month waiting time for parcels from the US to the UK?

Carpenter

Enlightened
My 2 cents..

You can't prove the seller didn't send it to you. If it's lost in the mail, it's not fair of you to go to pp and get all your money back.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I filed a PP complaint against a fraudulent Ebay seller about a year ago. The PP procedure was totally worthless.

Coming away from that experience, I was more upset and angry with PP than the fraudulent seller.

I have since chalked the entire matter up to what has been described by some as a "broadening experience" in life. :rolleyes:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Titan,
Before you file a claim with PP, you might want to mention this intent to the seller. They may elect to pick up the tab on this lost item and forever change the way they do business with international customers. If this is about a SALE and international shipping with the customs and duties involved in such a transaction. :shrug:

Did you buy from a forum, an individual or a company set up to do international sales? You state that the problem might be the fault of the postal system which implies that it may also be the fault, unintentional or intentional, of seller.

I would guess the seller may be more than willing to return the funds of this transaction and further guard themselves from this issue ever coming up again.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
There are many interesting points that could be made here.To bad we do not have more details. At a very basic level, i believe it to the the sellers responsibility to have proof of shipment by tracking number or some other means. However, once it leaves the sellers hands it becomes the responsibility of the shipping agent and the buyer. The buyer to make sure that the package is adequately insured, the shipper to either deliver the goods as promised or pony up with insurance. If it is an issue of misrepresentation of the item it becomes more difficult.

As an active ebayer and also a retail store owner that ships, i NEVER ship a package without tracking to at least prove actual shipping of the item. This protects the buyer as well as the seller. As a buyer, i either make sure that the item is adequately insured or there is a free reship policy in place or i am prepared to eat the loss.

I also agree that you should always seek to resolve these issues at the lowest level, informal before formal, private before public.

ken

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the package I just got from Modamag, there was a tracking number, this was sent using Global Priority Mail using Encidia, just as you do Don. Performing a track on the tracking number did show that the package had been delivered to the post office, but it didn't show any other information. So this proved that the package had been sent even though that there was no actual tracking, maybe people using GPM and Encidia should start to write down those numbers so they have proof that the package has been sent.

Sigbjoern

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sigbjoern,

Someone clued me into that number on the GPM envelope and I started trying to keep track of it but found that there were times it showed up and times it didn't. It is at best proof that a package did enter the system but that is all. Proof that the shipper is not outright lying about shipping the package. Endecia records themselves can provide similar proof and they are automatically generated; not requiring someone to write down a long number that is not viable for any tracking or follow up. There are a number of good reasons and justifications to consider not shipping to international destinations. Some who do opt to ship internationally charge additional handling fees but isn't that a nasty thing to do! :shrug:

We are headed off topic here though because this is about seeking restitution from PayPal as a result of either a lost shipment or possibly outright fraud?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Titan,
Before you file a claim with PP, you might want to mention this intent to the seller. They may elect to pick up the tab on this lost item and forever change the way they do business with international customers. If this is about a SALE and international shipping with the customs and duties involved in such a transaction. :shrug:

Did you buy from a forum, an individual or a company set up to do international sales? You state that the problem might be the fault of the postal system which implies that it may also be the fault, unintentional or intentional, of seller.

I would guess the seller may be more than willing to return the funds of this transaction and further guard themselves from this issue ever coming up again.
DON I NEVER SAID I WAS MAKING A CLAIM, PLEASE READ FIRST THREAD ALL I ASKED YOU FOR WAS A RECIEPT NO . CHECK YOUR EMAILS

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Sigbjoern,

Someone clued me into that number on the GPM envelope and I started trying to keep track of it but found that there were times it showed up and times it didn't. It is at best proof that a package did enter the system but that is all. Proof that the shipper is not outright lying about shipping the package. Endecia records themselves can provide similar proof and they are automatically generated; not requiring someone to write down a long number that is not viable for any tracking or follow up. There are a number of good reasons and justifications to consider not shipping to international destinations. Some who do opt to ship internationally charge additional handling fees but isn't that a nasty thing to do! :shrug:

We are headed off topic here though because this is about seeking restitution from PayPal as a result of either a lost shipment or possibly outright fraud?
I AT NO TIME MENTIONED FRAUD ,AND PLEASE READ MY FIRST POST , I DID NOT SAY I WAS MAKING A CLAIM.GO TO POST ONE. ON THIS THREAD.OH AND I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE ,BUT YOU MAKE EXCELENT LIGHTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.