Pete Townshend question for our UK members

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The news in the US is that he was arrested and released on bail but no charges were filed.

How does one receive bail before charges are filed?

In the US one is arrested and then arraigned.
It is at the arraignment that official charges are read and that bail is either set or denied.

How does it work in the UK?

Ross

Enlightened
Well, it varies between England and Scotland but in England, you can be released on police bail which means the police are continuing their enquiries but do not have evidence to charge. The bail is that you must appear at a police station at a particular date in the future.

You can also be bailed by a court - which is a different but similar (if you know what I mean.....) scenario.

Scotland (where I work) is different again!

Hope this helps

Ross

Ross

Enlightened
Bail in the UK is not an arrangement based on money - no money ever crosses over. It's simply an agreement between the court and the person or the police and the person that they will not commit further offences in this time. If further offences are committed, the courts look very harshly on the person and their sentence (if found guilty) is generally increased. If a person commits another offence whilst on police bail, it is a similar situation.

Confusing I know

Ross