Angryfox        

Thread: Help with "finger food" recipes

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Default Help with "finger food" recipes

My wife and daughters are handling food for a friend’s wedding and they are looking for recipes for the reception. The parameters---
    </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">*350 guests
    *Must be inexpensive
    *Eaten with fingers—Food will be laid out buffet style, plates and serving utensils will be used [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    *Easy to hold---prepared day or two ahead
    *Served cold
    *Not too hard to prepare</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There will be people replenishing the tables so the food can be stored in any manner and then laid out on platters. I looked on the internet and was overwhelmed with recipes so we have turned to friends and family to find things that have worked for them.
    They are already planning on carrots, celery, cauliflower, green peppers, dip(s), finger jello, nuts and mints. They may do ham sandwiches (ie. buns, mayo, cheese and ham).
    I list this so you have an idea of the style and flavor. Thanks for any input you can post here or PM or email any response. Witsendsalm107@juno.com
    Here are some of the recipes I found that my wife wouldn't use, her reaction was more [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] . Narrow minded I guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Help with "finger food" recipes

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

BTTT

Wits'... [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

Don't forget deviled eggs. And don't go all weird with them either by adding chunky "stuff" [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] Just remember that the secret ingredient is just the slightest hint of grey poupon... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pita bread is always good... cut into triangles. It goes well with any kind of dip... especially spinach dips or artichoke dips. The recipes for those are very simple and can be found all over the net with different variations.

The one thing that turns me off at events like this is when someone decides to get all "fancy" with recipes. Keep it simple and basic. Don't go adding all kinds of gourmet, funky crap... that's when you end up with stuff like you linked to above... [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

one stick of butter, one jar of Kraft "Old English Cheese Spread" one can crab meat. Mix it up, spread it on a "melba round" and put it under the broiler till it starts to bubble and brown a little. They are VERY yummy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

wrap a whole water chestnut in a strip of bacon, secure with a toothpick, dip in soy sauce, place under the broiler till the bacon is cooked, turning once. Don't worry the toothpicks wont burn before they are done. Also pretty yummy.

Get some packaged filo dough, you can do a lot with that, but an easy thing is to cut it into diamond shapes and put a dollop of canned pesto sauce on the top, then bake. Also very yummy and easy and fast to prepair.

Then there are always those "little smokies" you can simmer in sauce [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] To quote homer "Brother, it looks like catsup, it tastes like catsup, but brother, it aint catsup!"

Actually http://www.aidells.com/ makes a little version of their chicken and apple sausage which is about my favorite processed food at the moment [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I buy them in bulk at sams club and freeze them, but you can get them a lot of places now.

EDIT: Hmm, well I see now that you want things that you can serve cold, and I'm not sure the first 2 qualify. You can prepair them a day or 2 ahead of time and just put the trays under the broiler when you're ready to serve them though. I've done that.

If you are going to go with pitah bread, you might as well try "Shoarma". [img]graemlins/winkie.GIF[/img]

Not fancy, just tasty...
    Shoarma is a tasty food which originated in the Eastern Mediterranean countries. It has become known for the unique way in which it is prepared in a specially-designed, vertical rotisserie grill.

Shoarma is made of mouth-watering roasted morsels of pure, solid meat, seasoned with special herbs and spices.

Various types of meat such as pork, veal, beef, lamb, mutton, etc. can be used - individually or in any combination.

Shoarma is often served in a "pitta" bun -as a snack. Along with a salad or fresh vegetables it can be considered to be a complete meal.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As with the fruit, (see above) I'm not sure if this is at all what you are looking for, but, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will like "Shoarma" .

Although not cold, most of it can be prepared in advance, and hot serving doesn't take long. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sasha, You're right about the chunky stuff! [img]graemlins/winkie.GIF[/img]
    Some good mustard and a good blend of paprika wil do it.

Chunky crap... [img]graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

OH! B@rt, that reminds me of another thing that goes over well with pita bread... humas! You can buy it already made (it's not expensive) and it comes in lots of different "flavors". I like the roasted garlic one... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wits'... I'm sure I don't need to say this but... don't forget to take into consideration vegetarian diets. Obviously, some things need to be vegetarian friendly. But another thing that would be a nice touch would be to take into consideration those who may be on high protein/low carb diets. So meat and cheese and egg snacks are good too. It's not that difficult to cater to people's different "needs". The bottom line is, they will enjoy themselves more if they can eat all they want and not blow their diets.

That reminds me... be sure to have plenty of diet soft drinks on hand too. (Diet coke, diet ginger ale) There never seems to be any of that kind of stuff at these type functions and I know I always just end up drinking water... [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]