Free.Light Spartanian an Inside look.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as promised neoseikan has sent me his 1x cr123 based cree die light.

Well my initial impression was quite good, the ligh twas small light weight and had a tail clicky. After loading in a lithium cell I found the clicky to be quite stiff. The one that had come installed on the light was very stiff due to what was later found to be the very thick rubber boot. So I tried the other switch and it had a much softer and with a slightly different boot but the UI was totally different. This second cap had an off-high-off-low-off setup, while the original had a off-high-low-off setup. I prefered the original setup but disliked the feel so I figure hey the reason I have this light is for testing, so I go at it and find that this is just the begining of unscrewing things every piece is screwed together I mean everything the LA is a screw in type that screws into the body the bezel and the tail cap. Look at pics for a more literal idea of what I'm saying. Well after putting the (imho) better UI switch in the softer boot I found it to be quite nice. A couple things I noticed about the beam.

The beam had a nice hotspot with a yellow corona and a good spill with a much wider ring around this whole thing (???) you really won't notice this as it's really far out there my pic is only about 3-6 inches from the wall. It is pretty much comparable to a U2 but smaller and with less selection and a slightly smaller beam, as for brightness it is very much the same as a U2 only it has a smaller beam.

The technicalities.

Using my trusty fluke meter I have found that the cell is being taxed at about 709mA and at about 2.8 Volts

Now after dissasembly and soldering I managed to get some current levels at high power which were as follows.

2.1V and 309mA which is only 1.28 watts. From 1.99 the circuit is running at about 64% efficiency. The light is plenty bright mind you but I think it could be brighter I will go out in search tomorrow to find some type of variable output device so I can give the unit more juice. Don't get me wrong it's plenty bright but if I can push 700mA out the LED I will be happy.

I also tested the bulb straight onto the battery and it only drew 30mA so someone teach me why this would happen this is leads soldered right on the star.

The reflector is highly reflective plastic, but I am discussing an aftermarket orange peel type metal reflector as an after market option, the window however is a nice glass window which I didn't even notice tell I took it out,

And yes the light was used well before taken apart. I do not own an occiliscope but I may be able to use one via my cousin who is at college for electrical engineering.

As for comparison I don't have my U2 as it is out for manufacturing defects.

The finish is a black anodization I scratched at it inside the bezel and found a little mark but that may be the metal off my little probing tool. It seemed to mostly rub off. I tryed diamond filing it with my surge and it did come off but that isn't really fair since diamond beats AO anodization. although very little was removed when comparaed to my mag mini so I am going to say if it isn't HA it is a very nice anodization.

Pracitacallity,

It is a nice small light a gread edc light, I think for size with it only being slightly larger than a bic lighter no body would feel it in their pocket personnaly I EDC a U2 in the same pocket as a leatherman surge and I am very happy with that, the tail cap thread are smooth and with dual O-rings it is very nice.

As for use I would say keep it in a car or EDC it its good and bright for everyday use and on high shoud run well over an hour, runtime tests will be done today with a fresh battery station cell.

here are teh pizzors.
DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2094.jpg

DSCN2095.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

Above was the way I liked it setup with soft boot and highlowoff UI
DSCN2097.jpg

stock setup
DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2105.jpg

DSCN2106.jpg

DSCN2107.jpg

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2109.jpg

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have much info like price and batteries I do for a fact know that they run on the 3v cells as they are what it's made for but, I will contact neoseikan.

LightScene

Enlightened
There are some things in your review that I don't understand.

"I have found that the bulb is being taxed at about 709mA"...... "but if I can push 700mA out the LED I will be happy." What does that mean?

"It is pretty much comparable to a U2 but smaller and with these selection and a slightly smaller beam......" What does 'with these selection' mean?

"a U2's spot at 15 meters (50ft) is about 25 times larger". Is it 'slightly smaller' or 25 times smaller? I'm confused.

"I will go out in search tomorrow to find some type of variable output device so I can give the unit more juice. " Why? Do we really need you to analyze the Cree led?

Why not just tell us about the flashlight? Did you use the flashlight at all before you tore it apart? How about a beam shot comparison with your U2. Maybe a picture of it next to a Bic lighter so we can see how big it is? What kinds of tasks do you think this flashlight is useful for? Does it seem like a well built reliable flashlight? How are the threads? How is the finish? How does it feel? How bright/dim is the low beam? How much do you think it is worth? $50?, $40?, $30? Will it fit nicely in pants pockets? Does it seem like a good EDC?

Thanks.

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi. Lads. It could eat 3.6V battery (These batteries will have 4.2V at full).
Then it will be more bright.
Thanks for 65535's great work.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
neoseikan said:
Hi. Lads. It could eat 3.6V battery (These batteries will have 4.2V at full).
Then it will be more bright.
Thanks for 65535's great work.

So it isn't regulated?

For the tester(s): please do your measurements using a scope and measure the voltage over a small (.1 ohm) series resistor. A normal multimeter can NOT accurately measure a PWM signal from the driver.

Besides that, a scope image provides you more insight in the operation of the driver.

neoseikan

Enlightened
It's regulated. But I think there are some other test should be done (65535, the gray cap is right. the blue cap will make the data wrong.)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the reflector made of aluminum? or plastic?
How does this Cree based lamp compare to an actual Cree 7090 lamp?

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, 65535. I particularly appreciated seeing the insides of this one, and since that involved taking the whole light apart into a jillion pieces and photographing all of them you have done us a service. And on top of that, people are giving you a free lesson in how they like to see a light reviewed. Glad to see you weren't turned off by that and stayed with it. Can't wait for the beam shots!

Randy

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken a liking to the "off-low-off-high" type switch. Will it come with both or will we have a choice?
I, at least, have come to think of EDC as something beyond watch, wallet, cell phone keys, the type of thing that everybody carries. A 3D Mag replacement that fits on a keychain might move this type of light off the EDC list.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that would be up to neo. But I bet we could confince him to make this light quite user costomizable, with differen't reflector options and tail cap UI and that fun stuff. Today I tried making a wax paper diffuser and it produce a beautiful light output, I think for personally use I will keep it this way, I feel that a less spotty beam is better for this type of light as you aren't really going to expect a 1 cell light to be your searchlight but it makes a good light, I think when I drive I will be keeping this light hanging on my mirror. If you want to make a cheap effective diffuser when you buy this light you can simply take a small piece of wax paper and tighten the bezel over it and it will cut the paper to size just unscrew remove scrap and press the piece in and you are set.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
Off I mean to use when I need it, like a flashoholic equivilant to a pair off fuzzy dice.

Exactly. It is illegal in California and most other states, but is rarely enforced any more. Fuzzy dice is what first caused the law to be inacted.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm in that case I guess it will had to dangle off of something else. Although Most people have something on their miror and no problems. Who knows.

LightScene

Enlightened
Thanks 65535 for all the extra information and the pics.

Now we just need to know from neoseikan how much it costs and how to order it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to neo about a $30 price tag and he seemed to like that number but he mentioned that shippign was going to be $15 so I replied saying he should find a US distributor and ship them to him in bulk, I may time permitting do this for him, but we will have to see, I think there should also be some extra parts in order like a glass defracting reflector and different reflector types. I think this light has real potential and would make a great user changable light. Neo will have to chime in with some more ideas for price shipping and the like.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thank you for your kind advices! 65535.
I am looking for the best way to send them.
It's my first product, so all the advices are welcome and important.