what surefire turns off street lights?

dasanii19

Enlightened
I remember seeing a video of some surefire that turned off street lights. anyone know which light that may be? Would an M4 do this?

Nereus

Enlightened
That's not only nighttime activity... By covering the light sensor you can turn the lights ON in the daytime.

Seriously, so far we have considered lumens, luxes, throw, tint, runtime etc as important features of a flashlight. Now we have a new criterion: can you turn the street lights off with the flashlight... Gee, we are INSANE!!! :ohgeez:

-N

dasanii19

Enlightened
LOL, I just saw a video of a guy that beamed his flashlight at a street light from a some what far distance and shut it off. I now have an M4 and thought maybe I could do that now. Shoot, it just adds more fun to a flashlight. I know it sounds goofy but I get my jollys off on it :) Does that make me more of a nerd or not nerdy enough? Come on now you cant blame me for the thought, you guys are the ones that created this crazy hobby of mine, making me spend my hard earned money on lights :) which is a good thing..... I think ..... right? ...ha!! :)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here too, I just tried it and couldn´t turn one off.

I guess I would have my fun with that, coming home from a hike and turning off every street lamp I am passing. People would think the devil´s walking by..... :)

Eric

D-Dog

Enlightened
Anything with a bunch of throw should do it, maybe even a mini-mag lol. Probably an M6 would work too

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent managed to turn one off here in Norway using light,i think they use delays on the lights.
Like 10 minutes or more..

It used to do the trick to kick the poles when i was younger,lol.
I never destroyed any,they always came on again after a while.

:D

Benny

dasanii19

Enlightened
MikeSalt said:
I'm going to give that a go now, erm, Mag 6D ought to do it. Here goes . . . . . no, it doesn't do it, darn!

You need a brighter torch!! more power!! more power!!!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've done it near our house with a laser pointer when doing astronomy -- we are on the end of a cul de sac, and one street light is the source of most of the ambient light. You have to hold it on the sensor for a few seconds straight. I haven't been able to accomplish turning the light off with a flashlight though. The light restarts after once every ten minutes -- I considered making a mount that was exactly pointed at that sensor with an appropriate timer to "pulse" the laser automatically :D but we've only done it a handful of times so it's not really worth it.

There's also a light further away on our street with a faulty photocell that is on 24/7.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
dasanii19 said:
You need a brighter torch!! more power!! more power!!!

I guess so, although fresh batteries and NOT shining through glass might do it. Now where Is a SureFire Dominator 10X when you need it? (Oh, found it, at the bottom of a student debt!)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can turn off my neighbor's obnoxious outdoor light by beaming it from my deck at a distance of about 100 feet.

SL 4AA PP Lux or UK 4AA eLED Zoom will easily turn it off at that distance, but then the damned thing always restarts itself after being off for about ten minutes.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric242 said:
Here too, I just tried it and couldn´t turn one off.

I guess I would have my fun with that, coming home from a hike and turning off every street lamp I am passing. People would think the devil´s walking by..... :)

Eric

Some lights you can and some you can't, even with a spotlight. It should be full dark before you try.

I used to have a scout who rode with me and I convinced him I pushed a button under the dash. I'd reach under and when he watched my hand I've sweep the spotlight.
He found about a million protrusions and neveer figured out what was going on.

batman

Enlightened
seriously though, all joking aside, I understand exactly what he is asking. I have tried it with my M-6 on several streetlights and it' never worked. My guess is these days most lights are on timers. The Video of a streetlight being turned off by a ground based light source here on CPF was actually a Thor spotlight or some other type of HID I believe.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
I used to take out street lights with my BB Gun..works a lot better than a flashlight.

How did that work? Did it smash the light? Or did it disturb it, causing temporary failure? I just can't see a BB gun doing anything to a street lamp, unless they build them differently where you are?