The direction SureFire is headed?

roguesw

Enlightened
Hi guys,
i was just thinking, SF will be coming out with more digitally regulated flashlights in the future, i have a concern, the lifespan of the flashlight, with modern i/c crammed into the head and the inability to service them except surefire, how long does SF think their flash lights will last? The A2 has digital regulation, all LEDs are digitally regulated, replacement parts are gonna start to cost an arm and a leg.
The incandescent have short bulb lifespan but they are robust and the only replacement part is cheap (the LA). Is the old saying the simpler the piece of equipment, the less parts to go wrong?
But i love LED's bring on the revolution.
Cheers
Des

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most things fail, given enough abuse. But if their circuit is build well and designed well and manufactured well, I don't see them failing so soon.

I sure hope they have some manual setting that allows you to use the light in case the electronic regulation fails...

Illuminated

Enlightened
For years, I avoided buying cars with electronics. Now, it can't be avoided. My 1981 daily driver even has an engine management system - and it has proven very reliable.

The point is that it can and has been done - making electronics robust and reliable, even for use under adverse and extreme conditions.

IMHO, the advantages offered by the these electronics outweigh the minimal potential for failure, and I consider that I essentially trust my life to those electronics every time I get behind the wheel.

I believe that Mr. Hunt has done some rather outstanding developement with electronic regulation, and I don't believe I'd hesitate to buy an A2 or other regulated model if it were rechargeable, and the purchase price vs quality and performance represented excellent value to me as a consumer.

Just my .02 worth...

Have a Great Day!

John