Talk about a lot of "Gall"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awe, what the Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of "Buyer Beware", but come on... This is beyond rediculous!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
obviously a misprint
shocked.gif
i bet some moron will try and buy one though.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least have it as $145NZ or something like that... bare $ is US currency...

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, $145NZ is still $78.50 US...

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FalconFX:
At least have it as $145NZ or something like that... bare $ is US currency...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps in the US, bare $ means US currency, but in pretty much every other country that uses $ denomination for currency, they also just say '$'. If you go to Singapore and start talking about prices in $, people there will assume you mean the local currency $, the same in Hong Kong, Australia, or any of the many other countries which use $ for currency.

On a site which prominently displays that it is NZ based, why would you assume that the currency is anything but the local one?

Graham

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The site may be New Zealand based, but the currency may not. They may have listed specifically for the US, or any other nation's currency, for that matter, and no one would know unless they made it clear. And on that site, there is no designation for NZ currency.

Things like Yen and Baht or Yuan aren't as easily confused with US Currency, but in cases like Canada or, in this case, New Zealand, you will get confusion if there's no indication for different currency...

Places like WarGamers specifically list "USD" as $ currency, something that's identifiable and not easily confused...

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, why do you assume the currency would be anything other than the country's where the company is? It is abundantly clear on the site that the company is based in New Zealand.

Why the assumption that it would be US$ unless otherwise specified? If *not* specified, shouldn't you assume that the currency is the local one from where the company is based? I know I do.

I could understand the confusion if it wasn't obvious where the company was based, but it is..

For you US types, I suppose it wouldn't hurt for them to have a mention somewhere that all prices are in NZ$. But I don't think its a serious need.

I regularly order stuff from sites in Australia and other places, and never even considered the possibility that the currency would be anything but the local one (even though they don't say it explicitly)

Graham

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'll put it this way, and I'll take a leave on this topic, since I know it'll get into murkey water soon...

There's a reason why a topic was started on this: confusion... The confusion? Different currency and the perception thereof.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. But confusion like this can be easily avoided with just a little thought and perception.

Sorry if it seems like I jumped on this, but I've seen this happen a number of times on CPF, and while it usually gives me a laugh, the way you stated your assumption that "bare $ is US currency" rubbed me the wrong way..

Graham

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know Galls was in/from the US, and thought the reverse..

Many items in Australia and NZ which are imported from the US, are quite expensive.

A while back I was looking for a PT Surge, and in Australia it was equivalent to US$40 or so..

Graham

nihraguk

Enlightened
Graham: i agree. the url of the website given made it clear it was based in new zealand, and therefore there should be no reason for anyone to assume the prices listed on the website would be any currency other than new zealand's.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Right on Graham!

I hate that the online world take it for granted that when a .com comapny states $x it has to automatically assume 1 country's currency, that of the US. There are probably many dozen countries which uses the dollar as the basis for their currency.

And plus, it's not uncommon for items to cost 3 or 4 times the US$ equivalent outside of the USA.

Sometimes I think those that live in the "free" country just don't realise how free they really are.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Is this thread about the torch or currency comparisons?
The torch itself looks like a good quality aluminium torch but I would expect to pay around £20 to £30 for a similarly speciified maglight torch. So the American price would not be far wrong at the current exchange rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.