Compact LED flashlight for $40-$50?

Kurzon

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a compact flashlight that can fit in my coat pocket. I own a Duracell Voyager, a decent budget flashlight; I need an LED light that is brighter, no larger, with a digital regulator to keep the beam from dimming. My budget range is $40, though I might go a little higher if I am suggested something truly special. Brightness is the key issue; I want something really powerful for that price.

So, what is the best flashlight for me, given these criteria?

myk

Enlightened
My suggestions:

Fenix L1T @ $41.33 shipped @ Fenix-store.com (use CPF5 when checking out for the 5% off). This will be brighter than your current light by far, runs on cheap (and even rechargables) AA batteries, and they're just awesome.

Or, if you want to go holy-crap-bright the Fenix P1D CE is even smaller, and ~4 times as bright (37 lumens on L1T vs 135 lumens on P1D-CE) @ $66.50 shipped

This light runs on CR123 batteries however - which are still easy to find, but expensive if you don't order them on the internet

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I'm not particularly knowledgable about flashlights, but from following the forums here for a few months I gather that you would be best served with one of the new Cree led flashlights. Crees are twice as efficient as Luxeons, so they are very powerful for the same run times or can run twice as long at the same brightness levels. The fenix and jetbeam products come to mind, although fenix models, e.g. the p1d--ce model is going for around $65, I think. The Jetbeam jet ce model is going for $29 without shipping (http://emilionworkshop.com/oscommer...=154&osCsid=69419a88defc06cf0756425f925b0c7d). These are both 1 AA battery flashlights, so you can get batteries anywhere. They are very small and each puts out a maximum of about 75-80 lumens, I understand.

Good luck.

Latest posts