M4 questions

dasanii19

Enlightened
I got my M4 today. The MN61 seems really oval and yellow, Is this normal? For some reason I thought it would be a screaming white round beam. Maybe im just used to my KL5 head?

Do you know if I can change out the bezel to the new big teeth bezel? The bezel on it has the small teeth

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN61s are pretty oval.

And comparing any incan to a LED will make it seem yellow, even a tiny 5mm LED will do this.

What you really want is an M6 with the MN21.

dasanii19

Enlightened
kakster said:
The MN61s are pretty oval.

And comparing any incan to a LED will make it seem yellow, even a tiny 5mm LED will do this.

What you really want is an M6 with the MN21.

This is a quote from a member on this forum, I would just like to hear what others think about the boring out mod and if its a good idea.

:::: The only thing that I would do, is what I did, bore it out to accept 18650 cells, unprotected, and get your hands on an MN21. You can use it in your M4 just like the M6 for 20 min. with the rechargeable 18650s! You can also use MN20, MN15, MN16 and the N2! All these lamps work with the 18650s with no problem! You actually have the M3T, M6, and the M4 all in one light! That is one reason that I prefer it wayyyyyyy more than the M6! ::::

nuggett

Enlightened
I saw this too, but I would hate to destroy the interior chemcoat.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to be pretty careful when using unprotected Li-ions, particularly with a high drain bulb like the MN21.

A Lithium cell can 'let go' pretty spectacularly when pushed too hard, and the MN21 pushes those cells right to the raggedy edge.

A protected Li-Ion won't light the MN21 at all.

Using unprotected cells in the setup you describe is not for someone new to Li-ions.

If you must use rechargables, I would recommend first getting some protected cells, like Pilas or similar, and running the M3T bulbs.
You also don't have to bore out the M4 for this setup either.

Personally, I use my M4 with the small M3 bezel and the MN11 bulb and a pair of protected Pilas.

ptirmal

Enlightened
kakster said:
You have to be pretty careful when using unprotected Li-ions, particularly with a high drain bulb like the MN21.

A Lithium cell can 'let go' pretty spectacularly when pushed too hard, and the MN21 pushes those cells right to the raggedy edge.

A protected Li-Ion won't light the MN21 at all.

Using unprotected cells in the setup you describe is not for someone new to Li-ions.

If you must use rechargables, I would recommend first getting some protected cells, like Pilas or similar, and running the M3T bulbs.
You also don't have to bore out the M4 for this setup either.

Personally, I use my M4 with the small M3 bezel and the MN11 bulb and a pair of protected Pilas.

The higher end 18650's aren't being pushed to their edge running a mn21... They're also a lot more 18650's available than 17670's and 18650's always increase in capacity etc before the other sizes

max52

Newly Enlightened
Of all the SF lights I have, the only disappointment has been the M4. The only improvement has been with brand new Surefire CR123's.
Max52

dasanii19

Enlightened
Really? One of the reason I bought the M4 is because of all the positive reviews on it.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
At some point, you should buy a Mike Jordan ("Arcmania") 3W or 5W Tower Module for your M4. It`s a drop-in replacement for the regular SF bulbs, and it`ll turn the M4 into a real flamethrower.

I`ve been using TM`s in some Surefire M3T,s, and just love that combo. If I remember correctly, you`ll also get about one hour of regulated runtime...with a really, really bright beam of light.

But be careful. Once you try TM`s, you`ll never go back to a regular bulb. :p

:)

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let the (yellow) color of the beam fool you into believing you're not getting the full output of the light. Especially when you're used to LED lights, an incan will look yellow and weak by comparison.

Wait until you get outdoors on a dark and moonless night...... the performance of the MN60 will NOT go unnoticed. You light it up in a dark bedroom and prepare to be underwhelmed.