Streamlight TLR-1 info.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
My old partner just phoned me asking about his new weapon light that is a TLR-1 from Streamlight. I know very little about this light and a search showed me very little also. I do gather it is a 3 watt Luxeon and runs from 2 standard 3 volt cells with a reflector.

He is asking me of any changes that could be done and I have never even handled one of these. He hates buying the batteries so his first question is can this light use my rechargeable cells. I was maybe thinking swap to rechargeables if possible and also changing the reflector to some other custom reflector if possible.

I am not sure if I can even reach the reflector as I do not have one in my hand to try. Can anyone tell me if this weapon light is easy to take apart and if so can I easily remove the reflector...also is it safe to try the 4.2 V rechargeables.

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
I would not mess with the reflector. The TLR1 puts out a PERFECT tactical beam. I wish I could find a hand held light that put out the same beam.

Personally, I would not mess with a TLR1 at all. Mine is on my bedside gun. My life and the life of my family depend on that light and my Glock. Things that I depend on that much I tend to leave stock...

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a TLR-2 with the same LED system and think it's just about perfect. i also suggest he doesn't screw with it.

and seeing that's it's a weapon light, why would he trust anything less than high-quality lithiums to run it? (i don't want mine loaded with rechargeables that self-discharge)

Hooligan

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these as well and love the thing. It's best NOT to mess with anything that you are going to rely on to possibly save your life.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I guess I never really thought of the safety issue and being a fellow officer I probably should have. Thanks for pointing it out to me and I have not yet seen the beam so I did not know if it could be improved on.

I think his biggest issue is the batteries. He had another mounted light previous to this one and I do not know what type it was but he said it ate batteries quickly. I do know he used it very often when he probably should have been using his main duty light thus he went through batteries quickly.

I will now tell him he should best leave it as is running standard cells and if it puts out as nice of a beam as you say then the reflector issue should not be a factor....thanks for the input.

Paladin

Enlightened
Robocop said:
I do know he used it very often when he probably should have been using his main duty light thus he went through batteries quickly.

And even LEO's MUST practice muzzle safety discipline at all times. The casual use of a mounted light for non-shooting needs implies that things/persons are being pointed at with his muzzle which might not need ventilated. What I really appreciate about the TLR-1 is how easy it can be detached for use as a handheld light.

Paladin

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i seem to get very good battery life with mine, much better than the M6X Xenon weaponlight.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Have been trying to decide whether to buy the TLR1 or 2 myself. I have to say, I don't know why he'd want to modify. Its got a fantastic beam pattern and is very bright.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only handled one in a store...very nice beam. If your friend is concerned with batteries, he can likely use 3V Li-Ion Rechargeable R123As, but keep in mind those will provide much less runtime than primary 123As. The good thing is they don't self-discharge (well, they do it very very slowly).

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried it with 3.6/7/4.2V RCRs though? I've got a ton of 3.7 rechargeables lying around and I'm tempted to cram them in to check it but I'm afraid of frying it. Maybe if I could find some detailed tech specs.

Shao

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any beemshots?
I've been looking to buy the surefire X200A or B and see this is alot cheaper.
How does it compare to the surefires?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leave the reflector alone. It has a very nice beam as it is. Besides, the reflector is an integral part of the assembly and replacing it will require some machining on your part. I have modified a TLR-1 and TLR-2 with high power IR and it's not difficult to disassemble. Modding with a Seoul P4 will also entail the same work though I haven't done one to see what the beam looks like. The hardest part is removing the Luxeon since they use very liberal quantity of thermal epoxy. This is what I've done for a few AR15.com members:

DSC_0834a.jpg

I have briefly tried Li-Ion RCR123's and it does work (current drawn is less than with primary) but I do not know whether the overvoltage will have any long term negatives. The only thing keeping me from buying the TLR-1 or 2 is the lack of a remote switch for use on a rifle.

Last edited:

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
I have a TLR-1, but I only use it at home/off-duty since my dept does not allow use of weaponlights on our duty guns.

Skibane

Enlightened
Yet another vote in the Leave-It-The-Hell-Alone category.

This light is WAY too close to perfect to mess with - Great combination of throw and flood, very rugged construction, excellent switch location and function, and perfectly adequate battery life.

If you friend is replacing batteries too often, I would suggest using something other than his pistol for a flashlight!

Sig229

Newly Enlightened
many departments won't allow weapon lights for fear of improper muzzle discipline. Because You can only illuminate what your gun is pointed at(which gun rule is this breaking).

Bill

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
Sig229 said:
many departments won't allow weapon lights for fear of improper muzzle discipline. Because You can only illuminate what your gun is pointed at(which gun rule is this breaking).

Bill

Exactly. The dept was afraid that officers would stop carrying a duty light and would run around pointing their weapon at people.