Who gets flashlights in a divorce?

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
I'm just curious ... not that my wife is threatening to leave or anything ... who gets custody of flashlights accumulated during the course of a marriage?

Does anybody have any experience or advice?

My best advice to those who aren't married ... is to plainly list flashlights in a prenuptual agreement to avoid any conflicts at a later date.

Now, please don't misunderstand me, my marriage is strong. My wife is just telling me I don't need more flashlights ... so I'm trying to protect those I already own and love.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
I'm not sure of a divorce but when my ex and I broke up, I let her keep what I gave her as a gift. The rest were mine
grin.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by I_rv_too:
I'm just curious ... not that my wife is threatening to leave or anything ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you hang around here too much that might change.
tongue.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what doug said.
grin.gif

if your marriage is so strong, why are you worrying about it?

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Originally posted by I_rv_too:
Now, please don't misunderstand me, my marriage is strong. My wife is just telling me I don't need more flashlights ... so I'm trying to protect those I already own and love.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just tell her:

"Sweetie, you know you are the true light of my life, so stunning is your luminance that your absence surrounds me in an unbearable darkness. Hence I am forced, alas in vain thus far, to find a light that will guide me back to you."
cool.gif

Of course I got the same observation from my wife during my Eternalight purchase last week, so what do I know?
icon3.gif

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Like most things in this world, it depends...

If you have a good attorney, you get them.

If you have a bad attorney, she'll probably get them.

If you have a really crappy attorney, you're going to loose the lights AND have to pay battimony.

John

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
>>pay batimony

As jeese, you mean some court might make me buy the batteries for flashlights I had to give to her?

Even 123's ?

Better make up before it's too late!

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Or would I only have to buy batteries until my flashlights are 18 years old ... still a long time, mind you.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Well, since in Ca it's a 50/50 state I have this figured out already.

In court I'm going to give my wife the best flashlights in the world as "ordinary" people know them. So she gets to keep the "World Famous" M*gs and I'll just have to settle with this No-Name brand that no one knows about (Surefire).

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget about the possibility of having to pay for burned out lamps in the incandescents!

One has to ask themself, would an ex spouse treat the lights with the same respect and loving care they have grown accoustomed to? Would she take them into the closet several times a day for proper exercise? Would she lube their O-Rings with exotic substances, or just spray PAM on them?

It might be best to just stay together for the sake of the lights.

SurefireM6 - Brilliant! Is that vehicle in your sig chasing an ambulance?

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"So she gets to keep the 'World Famous' M*gs and I'll just have to settle with this No-Name brand that no one knows about (Surefire)."

Having gone though a "split," it has been my experience that personal property items are indeed identified for cost for replacement based on the current market value and especially if covered under a homeowners or renters insurance policy.

This obliterates the "No-Name brand" strategy.

Further fueling the fire of controversy and beefing the adage that "familiarity breeds comtempt" is your spouse, significant other, or concubine's knowledge that you have more than just a fleeting interest in such implements and that the emotion you attach to them will likely manacle you to great lengths to keep them; further feeding her desire to take them away from you.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
And the thought that another man's hands might fondle my flashlights ....

Well, maybe you're right. Maybe we should stay together for the sake of the flashlights.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well if you split because of the flashlights...would she really want them?!

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
Well if you split because of the flashlights...would she really want them?!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh yes. Just so that you wouldn't have them. No joke.

These are the things that old guys tell young kids and they go "yeah, yeah", and don't believe it. So maybe a different tactic is in order.

Nope, she'll let you have all your lights, won't even mention them in the settlement. You won't need a lawyer, because everything will be friendly. Any items you shared use of, like the car or the microwave, well she knows how fond you are of them, so you can keep those. There will be NO bitterness, or a feeling that she's "wasted 8 years of her life", or that the childhood dream of happily ever after is now shattered. It will be a positive experience for all involved. There may be a party!

Yep, you'll get to keep ALL your lights. And if you burn out a bulb, just put it under your pillow, and the light fairey will give you a brand new silver dollar.