Quality computer speakers

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've got some cheapo labtec speakers for my pc and they buzz sometimes. i think it's time for some new ones. who makes a pair with bang for the buck? i don't need anything fancy, just an on/off and volume knob on the speaker is nice.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've got a pair of Cambridge Soundworks I *really* like--they were replaced with the Creative inspire series which my sister has and I also *really* like. Nice, balanced speakers. Inspire series starts at about $30 for a 3 piece and tops out at about $50 for a 5 piece--I'm seriously considering stepping up. (I was just looking at them at Wal-Mart yesterday)

Probably not the best speakers for a diehard gamer but for MP3s, system sounds and such they're probably the best bargain out there
icon14.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
It really depends on what you want to do with your PC speakers... Do you want to play DVDs in 5.1 and the latest games? What kind of sound card do you have? The Logitech Z-540 is a 4.1 system that is the best compromise between quality and price (~$57 @ NewEgg.com). If you want the best, you're going to have to go Klipsch ProMedia series.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
There are lots of decent, reasonably priced speakers around, but the thing that will make the biggest difference of all is getting a set that comes with an independently adjustable subwoofer, which can easily be done for $30 to $50. Once you have been woofed, nothing else is going to be acceptable. We're not just talking about gaming or heavy music listening here, having a subwoofer allows small inexpensive speakers to perform in the range where they can do a decent job without getting loaded up with the low range stuff . Regular speech and everything else sounds soooo much better, you'll be hooked.

Places like CompUSA, BestBuy etc, often have switchable demo units so you can see what tickles your fancy.

John

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the suggestions. i only listen to occasional audio and use them very infrequently. so sound quality is not what i'm looking for. i just want some that don't buzz.

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of Altec Lansing ATP3's with sub-woofer for about $40. Sound very good. I liked them so much I bought another set for my office computer. - Lee

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some extra cheapies laying around that don't buzz. I'll test em first. Do you want powered or unpowered? Trade? or $20 shipped

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the offer, but i'm going computer shopping with my bro tomorrow. i'm sure i'll pick some up then. the buzzing is getting on my nerves. i like to leave them on so i can get audio email alerts.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Originally posted by tkl:
thanks for the suggestions. i only listen to occasional audio and use them very infrequently. so sound quality is not what i'm looking for. i just want some that don't buzz.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">tkl,

Your thread is misleading then. Generic, unpowered computer speakers can be had at Fry's for $7.

The buzzing could either be from a blown driver, problems with the mini-jack on the speaker itself, a low quality amplifier, or the connector on the sound card. The sound card itself could have an outdated software driver or a low quality chip.