dad wants a 32 inch lcd hdtv

raggie33

*the raggedier*
anyone ya recomened 3 places have em on sale for 699. the choices are a poloroid.. a syntax olieva or a insignia or a magnavox sadly i dont see model numbers in adds but the magnavox has atsc tuner and qam opps thats 4 tvs lol

WNG

Enlightened
Hmm, looks like prices are back up...32 HDTV was going for $379 at Microcenter.com back on Thanksgiving. Still see them for under $500, so shop around.
37" goes for around $600-750.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you get one with ATSC and QAM tuners, you've got a somewhat future-proof set. You can use it to receive OTA as well as unencrypted (clear-qam) cable channels.

AArcVarc

Newly Enlightened
AArcVarc's brother here. Add to your list the Vizio VX32L available at Costco, Sam's Club online, and at a few B&M Sam's Clubs. Have had one for about a month and love it. Definetly one of the better second tier manufacturers sets. Make sure you get one with a build date on or after Nov. of '06 as earlier production dates have had some issues. Works well as a computer monitor as well.

CanadaBright

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the Olieva set. New company, so their product is not very known, but their one year over the counter warrenty (at least here in Canada) is hard to beat.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
1920X1080p will do nicely.
Look for one that can do this level of performance.
There are even some flat screen computer monitors that can meet, or exceed this.

The common 1380X768 is already obsolete when it comes to sports broadcasts. :awman:
Many of them are now in full HD 1920X1080, and they look great!
Being able to see every player's jersey number on the field at the same time just blew me away the 1st time I saw a High definition sports broadcast on a good HDTV

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool info everyone.im at his house now.im trying to figure out what cable company he has looks like adelphia.now if the tv has qam can he get rid of his cable hdtv box?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If the TV has a QAM tuner, it probably also has a CableCard slot. The set can get any digital channels that are transmitted unencrypted, and a CableCard can be obtained from the cable company which will allow him to view premium encrypted services without a box (premium charges still apply). Look for the CableCard slot in the back and the DCR (Digital Cable Ready) logo on the front of the set to verify this.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that the Vizio TVs use LG components. They might be a good choice. Personally, I don't think I'd go with anything less than a 36 or 37 inch. The picture of a 32" widescreen actually looks smaller than 27" regular TV. It may be wider, but the people and everything else on screen are going to smaller/shorter. At least with a 37", you'll have the same sized objects AND a wider screen.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd_shift said:
1920X1080p will do nicely.
Look for one that can do this level of performance.
There are even some flat screen computer monitors that can meet, or exceed this.

The common 1380X768 is already obsolete when it comes to sports broadcasts. :awman:
Many of them are now in full HD 1920X1080, and they look great!
Being able to see every player's jersey number on the field at the same time just blew me away the 1st time I saw a High definition sports broadcast on a good HDTV

3rd Shift, sorry, but there are no 32" *TV* sets that do 1920.

Agreed, a set that has both ATSC and QAM tuners is desirable.

HDMI input is desirable.

1080i input is desirable. As 3rd Shift says, 1080p native resolution and input capability is desirable, but you can't find it on this size LCD.

Cablecard slot is desirable.

Check out AVSForum.com for a lot of good info.

Note at least some of the Westinghouse LCDs have gotten very good play on AVSForum as very good sets for the money.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
cool info everyone.im at his house now.im trying to figure out what cable company he has looks like adelphia.now if the tv has qam can he get rid of his cable hdtv box?

Maybe, but probably not. Try to find an Adelphia thread for your regional area over on AVSforum.com to find out.

-john

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Adelphia was sold last year to Comcast And Time-Warner. It's got to be one of those two in your area now.

Not that it matters in terms of HDTV reception. All of the major cable operators offer HD services in their native resolutions (1080i for most movie services and 720p for ESPN and some other sports-related services.

1080i has better spatial resolution; 720p has better temporal resolution (less flicker and aliasing on fast moving sports scenes).

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, but the issue is if they provide these services via QAM. If so, you can get a QAM equipped unit and omit the cable box.

If not, you need the cable box, and you probably want to find a TV that will most effectively accept the cable box input.

For example, if your cable box does DVI output and not HDMI, you want a TV with a DVI input (or get a converter).

-john

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man im so tired a research.everyone i think we willl like it ends up sucking i found a olivia sytax 232v but i heard they aint good do to the ati chip inside

frisco

Enlightened
You guys realize, these Jippo TV's your talking about are disposable.
Good luck trying to get it fixed!
I realize even the best brands can have issues..... But the cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

frisco

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, don't buy junk - it'll cost you more in the long run. IMO, right now Samsung is probably the best value. One of the major retailers will eventually have them on sale. Sony is my other choice, but more expensive.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is driving me crazy, too. My brother's tv just crapped out and now he wants an hd set. We're going to costco tomorrow to go shopping for sets. He's going to have to order his HD service later. Hopefully we get one that is acceptable

If only this country could do ONE thing the right way..

=================

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well dad suprised me the tv was for me.he promsied a tv a year or so ago since my tv is at least 15 years old its a sony trintron must be the first one made.well i eneded up geting a 19 inch lg wide screen monitor .he is still going to get me a tv.but im going with non hd since i can get a name brand then i see a syvnia 32 inch tv for 269 is that good?its digital tuner and qam if i recall