Surefire A2 Question

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting an A2 with Fivemega that allows it to run with a Strion bulb.

Will this configuration run with a Pila 168S? Will it be in regulation? Any issues with the LED's?

Thanks for your help.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only protected cell which will fit in A2 is 14670
Unprotected 17670 also will fit.
Single Li-ion (3.7 volt) does not properly power up the LEDs or Xenon regulator.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us use two unprotected RCR123's in the A2. They are charged to exactly the same voltage and immediately removed from the A2 as soon as the incandescent regulation kicks out.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was under the impression that protected RCR's like the battery station 900mah cells would fit in an A2???

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
Do the R123's supply too much voltage to the LED's? Protected would be better if possible. Does anyone know if Infidelcastro is correct about the use of protected R123's?

Thanks.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I was under the impression that protected RCR's like the battery station 900mah cells would fit in an A2???
Yeah, but they would kill the bulb as these batteries are 3.6v coming off the charger at 4.2v, 2XRCR 3.6v = 8.4V.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Yeah, but they would kill the bulb as these batteries are 3.6v coming off the charger at 4.2v, 2XRCR 3.6v = 8.4V.
Nope. The regulator in the A2 doesn't let this happen - there's a bunch of people using R123's in their A2's and nobody has reported damage to either the LA or the LED's. I used BullzeyeBill's red LED A2 for my review A2 LED review, and the LED's weren't any dimmer than other red LED I have.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I received my A2 a few days ago. I use it with the strion bulb and it is very bright and throws extremely well. I've moved more toward 2 stage LED lights lately with my HD45/XX1T being my favorite. This A2 gives my HD45 a run for it's money in terms of verall usability.

I just need a couple of R123's to make me completely happy.

I appreciate everybody's comments and suggestions.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Lightedge said:
I received my A2 a few days ago. I use it with the strion bulb and it is very bright and throws extremely well.
How do you use the Strion bulb in the A2?
Edit: Ah. It's a modification.

wquiles

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
The regulator in the A2 doesn't let this happen - there's a bunch of people using R123's in their A2's and nobody has reported damage to either the LA or the LED's.
Yep, I will second that. I lost count how many cycles I have on my A2 with 2x LiIon unprotected cells. It works great, but must turn off as soon as the incandescent light goes out of regulation to prevent damage to the LiIon cells ;)

Will

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
Will protected Li-ions work as well?

If so can anyone tell me where to get them. I see that most R123's won't fit the A2.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts